[eclipselink-users] COMMIT is not allowed in a subordinate session

I'm running eclipselink 1.1 with atomikos JTA, Spring and Oracle and I am
getting

[EL Warning]: 2009-04-10
14:13:49.812--ServerSession(24223536)--Thread(Thread[main,5,main])--Exception
[EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 1.1.0.r3639-SNAPSHOT):
org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-02089: COMMIT is not allowed
in a subordinate session

when the tables are being generated.
I thought this issue was addressed already for 1.1.  Our app works fine with
eclipselink and derby, and the same configuration we are using is also
working using both hibernate and openjpa on oracle.

The eclipse settings we have are
eclipselink.weaving=false
eclipselink.application-location=target
eclipselink.ddl-generation=drop-and-create-tables
eclipselink.ddl-generation.output-mode=database
eclipselink.jdbc.exclusive-connection.mode=Transactional

eclipselink.target-server=org.kuali.student.common.util.jta.AtomikosJtaTransactionController
(this just returns a com.atomikos.icatch.jta.UserTransactionManager in
acquireTransactionManager())

We are not using JNDI, could that be a problem?