[eclipselink-users] Connecting to multiple different databases efficiently

Hi!

I haven't actually used EclipseLink much yet, only Hibernate. I'm writing this mail to ask if EclipseLink supports something I need, but which Hibernate unfortunately doesn't support.

I'm developing a servlet which needs to connect to one of many databases, depending on the request. I'm using application-managed entity mangers and resource-local transactions.

To make it as fast as possible, I would like to create the EntityManagerFactory with all the common settings in init() and then only override connection details (database URL specifically) when creating the EntityManager in service():.

Theoretically, this should IMO be possible, since JPA supports overriding properties both in Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(pu, map) and in EntityManagerFactory.createEntityManager(map).

It seems, however, that both Hibernate and EclipseLink ignore connection properties (hibernate.connection.* and eclipselink.jdbc.*) when passed to EntityManagerFactory.createEntityManager(map).

I realize and accept that this might prevent caching of database connections.

Does EclipseLink support this use case in any way?

Regards,
 Jaka

Back to the top