[eclipselink-users] OracleDataSource and threading (?) problems

We are using eclipselink in a server application, but there is no container (j2ee, spring, etc) involved: our persistence environment is completely application-managed.

The server has a single static EntityManagerFactory, and each serve thread gets its own EntityManager.

This was all working fine when we were passing the low-level jdbc properties (driver, url, user, password) in the map to create the EntityManager, but we started having problems when we tried to switch to using an OracleDataSource (we want to be able to take advantage of Oracle RAC eventually).

The code now creates an EntityManager with a single item in the property map, a pre-constructed DataSource object.

Unfortunately, we are now seeing random NPE's from deep in the eclipselink stack. It has all the earmarks of a threading problem, but all that has changed is the use of the DataSource.

Is DataSource usage fully supported in a non-containter environment? Are there additional configuration steps that need to be taken. Is anybody using OracleDataSource with eclipselink?

Thanks in advance for any clues.

David Parker
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(401) 263-1782