Re: [eclipselink-users] Problems creating an XML Project from an XML Schema

Hi Stefan,

   Unfortunately our documentation in this area is out of date.  We derived it from the Oracle TopLink documentation but clearly this area has not been updated to reflect current functionality.  I'll file a doc bug to get this cleared up.

   Oracle TopLink used a JAXB 1.0 compiler to generate a Workbench project, JAXB objects, and TopLink mapping metadata--there was no standard metadata definition in JAXB 1.0.   In EclipseLink 1.x we embraced JAXB 2.0 and so we now use the JAXB 2 schema compiler.  This generates POJOs annotated with JAXB 2.0 mapping metadata that is not compatible with the external mapping metadata approach of the Workbench.  Definition and editing of JAXB 2.0 metadata is now something you do in a text editor as is is just Java 5 annotations embedded in the source code.

   In EclipseLink 1.x, if you want to use the Workbench to define externalized XPath based mappings you create an XML project, import your schema and classes, and then define the mappings between your classes and schema.  Essentially, the EclipseLink Workbench supports meet-in-the-middle mapping.

    Hope this helps,

       Shaun

Scheidt, Stefan wrote:
Hello,

I try to create an XML project from a given XML schema according to the description given here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Creating_an_XML_Project_%28ELUG%29

Unfortunatly, this doesn't work. I do not have a Workbench menu entry "File > New > Project > From XML Schema (JAXB)". I'm using Workbench Version 1.0.2 Build 20081024.

If I try to use jaxb-compiler.sh, the command line options like -generateWorkbench or -workbenchDir. The reason seems to be that the shell skript simply calls com.sun.tools.xjc.XJCFacade.

Can anyone help me with this? It seems as if the 1.0.2 release doesn't support any of the XML project features described in the wiki!?

I also tried 1.0.1 and 1.1.0-RC1 with the same problems.

Regards
Stefan

--

OPITZ CONSULTING GmbH
Stefan Scheidt - Dipl.-Math. - Senior Architekt