To: <eclipselink-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:51 AM
Subject: [eclipselink-users] BasicCollection question

The EclipseLink wiki page:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Using_EclipseLink_JPA_Extensions_(ELUG)#How_to_Use_the_.40BasicCollection_Annotation
gives an example on how to use BasicCollection. However I could not
get it to work when I use the example:

@Entity
public class Employee implements Serializable{
   @BasicCollection (
       fetch=FetchType.EAGER,
       valueColumn=@Column(name="DESCRIPTION")
   )
   @CollectionTable (
       name="RESPONS",
       primaryKeyJoinColumns=
       {@PrimaryKeyJoinColumn(name="EMPLOYEE_ID",
referencedColumnName="EMP_ID")}
   )
   public Collection getResponsibilities() {
       return responsibilities;
   }
}

I get an exception:

Exception Description: The type [interface java.util.Collection] for
the attribute [responsibilities] on the entity class [class
testjpa.User] is not a valid type for a serialized mapping. The
attribute type must implement the Serializable interface.

It works when I add the annotation on the 'responsibilities' class
member as follows:

   @BasicCollection (
       fetch=FetchType.EAGER,
       valueColumn=@Column(name="ROLE")
   )
   @CollectionTable (
       name="USER_ROLE",
       primaryKeyJoinColumns={
   @PrimaryKeyJoinColumn(
   name="USERID",
   referencedColumnName="ID")
       }
   )
   Collection responsibilities;

   public Collection getResponsibilities() {
return responsibilities;
   }

What did I do wrong? Or is the documentation using a construct I'm not
aware of...?

I also looked at the source code at
svn://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/rt/org.eclipse.persistence and I could
not find 1 BasicCollection test or demo, are there any tests using
BasicCollection?

Thank you,

Martijn