Re: [eclipselink-users] OSGI Manifest

Hi Eric,

I am not sure what the implications are for Spring, but here is the difference between createEntityManagerFactory and createContainerEntityManagerFactory.

createContainerEntityManagerFactory is provided by a JPA provider as a hook for a JavaEE container. A container calls this method and provides an instance of PersistenceUnitInfo. persistenceUnitInfo contains a bunch of information that has been initialized by the container and also some special hooks that allow us to perform some "class loader magic" and do things like weaving. At the moment, Spring provides a wrapper that emulates a Java EE container for the purpose of JPA. I must admit to being a little ignorant about whether there is a way to use it in OSGI, but doing so would require specific support from Spring.

createEntityManagerFactory is for use of JPA outside of a JavaEE container. In createEntityManagerFactory, the JPA provider does all its own initialization. This allows it to be used in more environments, but disallows the "class loader magic" mentioned above and changes the assumptions the provider can make about how things are deployed.

-Tom

Eric Gulatee wrote:
Going through the eclipselink code.

Since I want to use spring, osgi and eclipselink.

-  I was hoping to declare my datasource in the spring configuration file.
-  Use one of the entitymanagerfactory wrappers from spring.

However,
LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean
calls
PersistenceProvider.createContainerEntityManagerFactory
which isn't supported in an OSGI container...

So my other option is using the presistenceprovider and calling
.createEntityManagerFactory, however, AFAIK, I would need to flatten
my DS as properties to be able to pass them in.  (I think that's
possible)

So...  would it be possible to support
createContainerEntityManagerFactory in an osgi container?  I don't
really understand the implications or why it's not currently supported
in osgi.

Cheers,
Eric G.