Re: [eclipselink-users] Spring: Attempting to execute an operation on a closed EntityManager.

Hi Tim,

   If you're using Spring with EclipseLink you must copy spring-tomcat-weaver.jar into $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib see the Spring Manual for details.  Tomcat absolutely will not support dynamic weaving in Spring (or anything else for that matter) unless you use a technique like this.  You didn't mention you did this so don't think you did.  Once you have this in place and you've setup your Spring config properly, Spring will do @PersistenceContext injection.  Take a look at the TopLink Essentials JPA version of the Spring PetClinic for an example.

    Shaun

Tim Hollosy wrote:
So no luck em.isOpen returns true.

I can't get my friggin AspectJ Weaver to output anything even though I
have an aop.xml like this:

<!DOCTYPE aspectj PUBLIC
"-//AspectJ//DTD//EN" "http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/dtd/aspectj.dtd">
<aspectj>
    <weaver options="-debug -verbose -showWeaveInfo
-XmessageHandlerClass:org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJWeaverMessageHandler">
        <include within="com.redacted.*"/>
    </weaver>
     <aspects>
        <aspect
name="org.springframework.transaction.aspectj.AnnotationTransactionAspect"/>
    </aspects>
</aspectj>

BUT, doing some more reading about weaving I see: at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/Tomcat_Web_Tutorial#Limitations_to_JPA

As Tomcat is not a JEE5 compatible server, there are some limitiations to JPA.

    * No dynamic weaving (instrumentation) - static weaving of
entities is still available via EclipseLink
    * No @EJB injection of a session bean (containing the
EntityManager) is available - use the persistence factory and manager
directly
    * No @PersistenceContext injection of a container managed
persistence unit is available - use
Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(JTA_PU_NAME)

Does that mean i can't use the @PersistenceContext annotation with
EclipseLink in Tomcat 6???

I'm confused as to weather Tomcat 6 supports LTW or not, since there
are instructions all over for getting it to weave with Spring...

I may set up an OC4J Instance and see if I have better luck, but right
now I'm confused as all get out.

./tch