Re: [eclipselink-dev] Unification of line endings in the codebase

On 3/28/15 7:03 AM, Martin Grebac wrote:
On 27.03.15 21:53, Lukas Jungmann wrote:
just learning from my (bad) experiences :-) say you create a clone, do changes, commit them and during the push you hit the wall because of something. Not an issue for simple changes but anyway - refreshing repo, setting it up properly, redoing changes - that can become expensive if one is working on something bigger, changing more files etc.
Another point - say checkstyle will be in place, which can be tricky to set up on the repo side, so no reject but failed build (if we will enforce it, and
weekend coming. How long will it take to someone to fix it and do just some reformatting change?
I guess I understood you incorrectly - you are not suggesting to replace serverside checks with client side ones, but to have them in addition, right?

right, not to replace something, just add another layer of checks to bring possible failures closer to the developer

thanks,
--lukas

Well if someone submits a change which is failing the build that is hard to accept as it does mean he did not run the build himself before the push.
Such is also hard to prevent unless we adopt Gerrit reviews, which can quickly do these types of verifications on a submitted patch and give +1(s) for checkstyle, compilation, licences, whitespace, tests (harder - resource heavy) (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Gerrit), which is another way to deal with all of these.

 MartiNG

Back to the top