Re: [eclipselink-dev] Unification of line endings in the codebase

On 3/27/15 5:10 PM, Martin Grebac wrote:
On 27.03.15 7:57, Lukas Jungmann wrote:
Also formatting rules are hard to enforce, especially after the initial enthusiasm is gone ...
true, rule which is not being enforced does not make much sense to me neither. Enforcement on the server side (by rejecting pushes not following given conventions) is possible, even though not for everything probably but that can be too late.
Why too late?

just learning from my (bad) experiences :-) say you create a clone, do changes, commit them and during the push you hit the wall because of something. Not an issue for simple changes but anyway - refreshing repo, setting it up properly, redoing changes - that can become expensive if one is working on something bigger, changing more files etc.
Another point - say checkstyle will be in place, which can be tricky to set up on the repo side, so no reject but failed build (if we will enforce it, and weekend coming. How long will it take to someone to fix it and do just some reformatting change?

thanks,
--lukas

I was thinking about providing also some client side git pre-commit hooks which would be able to check basic stuff (whitespaces, LF, formatting(?)) during 'git commit' with hard check for proper setup of those hooks on developers machine during regular build. Sure there will always be a way how to bypass such hooks but it should be used in rare cases only.

What do you or others think about these client-side hooks? Would you find them useful?
I think whitespace/lf could be a client side check, though would prefer serverside check instead. Formatting/copyright check I'd envision as part of the build.

 MartiNG