Re: [eclipselink-dev] Unification of line endings in the codebase

On 3/25/15 9:26 AM, Martin Grebac wrote:
The main purpose of this is to make reviews easier and code easier to work with, so even though line endings solution would help tremendously if we're doing the mass update I'd be voting for broadening the scope to also apply other formatting - such as replace tabs for spaces (many files still use tabs),

ok, replacing tabs for spaces together with trimming leading whitespaces can be done

or even apply single formatting rules to all files (many files have broken formatting, non-consistent formatting is used across the codebase), so that we could potentialy integrate checkstyle to make sure we keep the status going forward.

I haven't found simple way to convert existing eclipse rules, pointed out by Gordon, into checkstyle ones. Not sure how complicated that would be. OTOH there does not seem to be simple way how we could enforce those rules to be followed other then providing client side git pre-commit hook, ie by adopting sth like https://gist.github.com/davetron5000/37350, which would have to be set up manually by each developer on his local machine

Updating to 2015 would be fine, too.

ok, will do this as well.

thanks,
--lukas