[eclipselink-dev] Notes from EclipseLink Summit Thursday Sessions

Here are some notes taken by Shaun and Peter from Thursday's sessions at the Summit. After this week's Helios shutdown we'll be addressing these further in the weekly committer calls.

Please feel free to add any additional notes or comments to this thread to ensure we captured everything from those discussions.

Doug

---

 OSGi
  • OSGi support for JPA continues to evolve but code is migrating to Gemini
  • Bytecode weaving on Equinox will eventually move to OSGi spec for weaving so as to be portable.
  • Testing remains an areas we could improve on--need to examine "native" port of JPA LRG and SRG to OSGi rather than all in one bundle approach
  • Currently no JAXB or SDO OSGi testing
  • Manifest definition/editing is an area that needs attention
    • We tried "Manifest first" development but ran into issues on Felix
    • Have moved to generating manifests using BND with templates
    • Need to investigate and replicate manifest import issues reported by Sun and users and file PDE bugs to see if we can return to manifest first development.  Perhaps VMware "Bundlor" tooling contribution will improve the situation?
Build
  • Build continues to be upgraded to support P2 repository generation
  • OSGi bundles are generated from classes compiled using "traditional" approach and not using OSGi classpath visibility rules.  PDE Build would support this.
  • The use of BND in the build combined with the direct editing of the manifests in PDE is cumbersome at best and needs improvement.  Move to BND was prompted by a lack of confidence in PDE after a number of bug reports from users.  While we seem to have improved the correctness of the manifests we have made development difficult and should explore how we can improve the situation.
  • The build uses ANT but all P2 related artifacts are generated by PDE Build which introduces additional complexity.  Moving to PDE Build as primary build system would simplify things--but can we use PDE Build to generate all-in-one eclipselink.jar and Maven repository?
Process
  • Contibution Log
    • Suggestion to only put entry in Contribution log per Company addition.
    • Suggestion is to use @Author to give credit to the original Author
  • EMail blast on Dev List
    • Concern was raised over the email that is sent to Dev group before a checkin and after a checkin
    • It may be enough to have the bug update notify the interested parties.
    • Suggestion is to just send out email requesting code review, and bug closing will confirm successful checkin.

Roadmap
  • Modularity emerged as the focus for the next major release of  EclipseLink (3.0).
    • Key refactoring would be separation of OXM and ORM code into separate bundles along with a foundation bundle that contains shared classes.
    • Discussed a restructuring of the svn repository to flatten projects for ease of use in Eclipse
    • "OSGi first" development would also provide a good opportunity to move to PDE build
    • "Modernization" of APIs was raised but was not discussed extensively.  There is probably no point in modernizing the native API for native ORM users (given our focus on JPA) but rather to make JPA support cleaner.

Back to the top