Re: [eclipselink-dev] Updated Proposal for submitted DatabasePlatform integration

Hi Rainer,

At the moment, I think of the SRG tests as a test set that exercises the fundamental parts of EclipseLink. The core SRG exercises the basic CRUD functionality for a reasonably large set of data-types. The JPA SRG exercises the basic JPA operations. In general, I think that we expect our platforms to pass these tests. There are, however some exceptions.

Lets take the example of the Symfoware platform that is currently being developed. There are issues with running Update and Delete JPQL queries that reference classes that have multiple tables because neither of the two current implementations in EclipseLink can be supported on Symfoware.

In my opinion, it is important to know that this fundamental part of JPA is not working prior and to document that limitation prior to shipping the platform, but I do not want to avoid shipping the SymfowarePlatform based on that limitation.

As a result, my first instict is to keep those tests in the SRG so that any platform that ships with EclipseLink either passes those tests, or documents that it does not. I am, however, open to other suggestions about how we achieve that.

I agree that what our SRG test suites contain should be flexible and the fact that a Platform cannot pass a test in the SRG, should bring up a discussion about whether the test belongs in the SRG.

Let me know if you have any suggestions,
Tom

Rainer Kwesi Schweigkoffer wrote:
Hi Tom !

The updated proposal looks good. Thanks a lot for all the work you are doing here. One might consider, though, whether agreement of the developers' mailing list with excluding an SRG test for a particular database platform should trigger moving that test from SRG to LRG such that SRG describes the (minimal) functionality guaranteed over all db platforms.

Best regards
Rainer

Tom Ware, am 18 Feb 2010 hast Du um 10:34 zum Thema "[eclipselink-dev] Updated Proposal for submitted "  geschrieben :

Hi All,

I have updated the proposal for lowering the barrier for integrating contributer-submitted DatabasePlatforms into the product. Please provide feedback either via this mailing list, or the Discussion page.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Incubator/Extensions/DatabasePlatformPromotion

-Tom

---
Rainer Schweigkoffer                      SAP AG Walldorf
Business Solution & Technology            TD Core JS&I
Technology Development                    Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16
Java Server Core                          D-69190 Walldorf
JEE Implementation Group           phone: +49 6227 7 45305
Building 3, G.3.28                 fax:   +49 6227 7 821177
rainer.schweigkoffer@xxxxxxx

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Walldorf, Germany
Vorstand/SAP Executive Board: Werner Brandt, Bill McDermott
(Co-CEO), Gerhard Oswald, John Schwarz, Vishal Sikka,
Jim Hagemann Snabe (Co-CEO)
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairperson of the SAP Supervisory Board: Hasso Plattner
Registergericht/Commercial Register Mannheim No HRB 350269

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschaeftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige
vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Verwertung des Inhalts, eine Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdruecklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or
otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Back to the top