Re: [eclipselink-dev] JPA support for additional database

Hi Dies,

  The short answer is, yes, we are quite interested in other database platforms.

In the interest of full-disclosure, the longer answer is that we still need to do a bit of work to make it easy to make that kind of a contribution.

At the moment, our test framework is missing a database conformance suite and this is something that would make your contribution easier. Without that suite, we will do our best to help you with your implementation, but you will likely need to be patient with us.

We have an incubation component, and the plan is to include new database platforms in that component so they can be distributed and used by the community. This will be especially important for databases such as Symfoware where we do not have the ability to test them. Any new database platform will be distributed through that component until they get enough community acceptance and testing to be moved to the full product.

In fact, there has been some interest lately in providing a number of other database platforms. This should provide us with the motivation necessary to get the incubation component properly set-up. Hopefully we will also find time to create a database conformance test suite - though I would be surprised if that happened before our 2.0 release and JPA 2.0.

-Tom

Dies Koper wrote:
Hi,

EclipseLink's JPA currently has implementations for almost 20 database
platforms.
We would like to use EclipseLink's JPA with Symfoware Server, which is
Fujitsu's RDBMS.
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/software/symfoware/

I would like to create a patch to add Symfoware support to EclipseLink.
I think Symfoware is not a famous DB outside of Japan, and as it's not
OSS, few of you might have heard of it. It has been around for quite a
number of years (I believe V10 is coming out this year), and we have a
number of customers in Japan using it.

Would you consider reviewing and incorporating a patch for Symfoware
support?

Thanks,
Dies Koper
Fujitsu