[eclipselink-dev] EclipseLink Dev Meeting minutes 20080611

Minutes: Michael O'Brien

11 June 2008 Minutes
---------------------
Attendees:
 Krogh Peter;
 Twelves David;
 Doughan Blaise;
 Pelletier Guy;
 O'Brien Michael;
 Yorke Gordon;
 Ware Tom;
 Smith Shaun;
 Meswani Mitesh;
 Striffler Roger;
 Clarke Doug;
 Hauge Neil;
 Norman Michael;

Actions:
---------------------
>Action: Peter: verify unassigned bugs
>Action: Neil, Roger look at prioritizing 236491 for 1.0.1
>Action: for Workbench bugs - Pattern looks for the word "[Workbench] "
>Action: Do lock tests run on MySQL?

== Agenda June 11 2008 ==

[http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=1&day=30&year=2008&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 2PM EST, Wednesday June 11, 2008]

<b>Dial In Info: </b> 1-888-967-2253, Conf ID/Password: 486546/486546

=== Status updates ===
* Bug Updates:
** [http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Bugs Bug Queries and other useful links]
** Open for 1.0: 64
** 27 Opened this week.
** 48 closed this week
*** eight in M9???? others are 1.0, M8, untarget
*** Solution?
>Action: Peter: verify unassigned bugs
>40 bugs in wrong milestone

* Bug DB usage
** If you are working on a bug, assign it to yourself.
*** add dummy inbox to the cc list.
** Set the target milestone to the correct milestone.
*** Confusion/concern on this part
*** Milestones
**** 1.0M9 are bugs that are to be fixed by the the corresponding milestone build.
**** 1.0 is a bug that is to be fixed by 1.0, but has no current target milestone.
**** 1.0.1 new bugs should be filed against this target
* Bug council
** Introduce notion of Bug council
** Wed 2:30pm
*** Untargeted bugs are going to be reviewed by bug council on a weekly basis (current proposed time is directly after weekly status meeting (2:30 ET on Wednesdays).
**** A milestone will be set - or set to future
**** Bug may get assigned
*** When you enter a new bug, leaving it untargeted means that the bug council will review to decide which release it is targeted for.
*** If you know which milestone the bug will be fixed in, assign it accordingly.
*** The new target - future - is for bugs that don't have a target yet.

* Runtime Project
** ONGOING
>Doug updated wiki - finalizing IP review, goal is to get done asap for M9 location
>will email both mailing lists with timeframe for developers

>Peter: submitting IPLog this afternoon - email with any last minute changes

** Move EclipseLink to runtime project.
** Keep history except for newsgroups.
** Target right after M8

* Community
** Eric Gwin
*** New committer!  Thanks for voting
>commit process working for Eric

* Code headers
** Ensure Header is dual license EDL + EPL
*** Found and fxed some build xml files.
** Ensure contributor is correct - new code should have code author (no - intial code from oracle)
*** Found and fxed some build xml files.

==== 1.0M9 ====
* Milestone release Date - June 18 2008
** 8 Open bugs - please review
** 8 fixed
* Foundation and JPA Status
>Working on bugs
>Wrapping proxy authentication changes

* OSGi - Tom
** Wiki - http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/EclipseLinkPDEConversionPlan
** PDE Projects available, eclipselink plugins in maven and jar containing all plug-ins available for download
** Dynamic weaving in Equinox work underway
>Checked in yesterday
>Working on fragment code for OSGI

** Initial planning for testing underway
>Tom updated Wiki

** Discussion
*** Packaging convention for dependancies (i.e. the projects we depend on that are not from Orbit)
**** Do we want a src and bin/classes directory
**** Should classes just exist at the base of the project (what about the jar we eventually create)
**** How should we name the jars we create
* Workbench
** Tested XML and EIS mapping functionality.
**  Able to open of toplink mapping workbench 10.1.3 projects
** Corrected the issue with Cache Synchronization (replaced functionality erroneously removed)
>Doing IPlog and build changes
>Still have a couple bugs for M9
>Doug: prioritizing [build all bug] to 1.0 - may get eric to add build target for everthing but util
>build needs to be optimized for speed, possible removal of debug jar build
>Peter: checking in zip bug change today

* MOXy, JAXB, SDO - Blaise D
>Blaise: bug fixes, some new bugs will reflect current work
>new feature: write out the default namespace - metadata files will look better
>IPLog changes

* DBWS - Mike N
>Mike: Preparing things to use the new default namespace changes in SDO, bugs, cleanup
>deploy dbws to WLS - future

* Build System
>zip file layout changes, readme, IPLog work, HTML needs to be updated to match IPLog

* Documentation Status - Rick S
** Complete [[EclipseLink/UserGuide|User's Guide]] available. Minor/final cleanup remaining, as needed.
** Discussion
*** Packaging convention for dependancies (i.e. the projects we depend on that are not from Orbit)
**** Do we want a src and bin/classes directory
**** Should classes just exist at the base of the project (what about the jar we eventually create)
**** How should we name the jars we create

==== 1.0 Release ====
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Release/1.0#1.0_Release_Criteria | Exit Criteria]]
** 1.0M8  June 4, 2008  Final functionality freeze
** 1.0RC1  June 18, 2008  Release Candidate 1
** 1.0RC2  June 25, 2008  Release Candidate 2
** 1.0 Release  July 9, 2008  Final 1.0 Release (moved from june 25th to be released after Ganymede)
** Schedule Dependencies
>Tom: All dependency jars for 1.0 release should be in bundles

*** Eclipse reviews: graduation, release, and move to RT
*** Ganymede to leverage Equinox 3.4 (June 25)
* Pre-release tasks
** 3rd party works-with approval for Oracle JDBC - Doug
** COMPLETE [[EclipseLink/IPLog | IP Log]] - Peter
** Complete [[EclipseLink/Features | Features Index ]] - Doug with support of all committers
** Complete Examples & How-to materials - Doug/Shaun
** Update wiki Documentation for 1.0 Features - Liza (starting in May) with committer support
** Finalize product packaging and distribution - ZIP(s), Bundle access (update site?)
** Prepare and schedule reviews

=== General Issues ===
* WIKI Changes should be done in parallel to any bug fixes to eclipselink.*.test ant targets or other public API changes - mobrien 20080529.
* DONE Bugzilla components - sign-off on final changes below
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipselink-dev/msg00640.html
* Automated Testing
** Need SRG test models for JPA, MOXy and SDO
*** DB components of those tests should be simple enough to run on Derby
*** Need to test Core SRG on Derby
* Bug Prioritization and targetting
** Currently more bugs are scheduled for 1.0.1 then we are likely to fix in that time
** We currently do not have a system to ensure a bug has a published priority level
** We should discuss how will we deal with these issues

=== Upcoming Issues ===

** We currently do not have a system to ensure a bug has a published priority level
** We should discuss how will we deal with these issues

=== Upcoming Issues ===

The following items require discussion but are not yet at the stage where a solution can be proposed.

* [[EclipseLink/Development/Examples]]: Strategy for the development and maintenance of examples
* [[EclipseLink/Development/OSGi]]: Strategy for delivery of OSGi/Equinox bundles
* [[EclipseLink/Development/JPA_2.0]]: Strategy for the concurrent development of JPA 2.0 while maintaining JPA 1.0 usage
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Spring]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink within the Spring Framework
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Java6]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink on a Java SE 6 JRE

Bug Council Triage:
-------------------

10 bugs
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&classification=Technology&product=EPS%28EclipseLink%29&target_milestone=---&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

235054
> to Mike N. with build changes

226361  enh  P3  Wind  douglas.clarke@xxxxxxxxxx  NEW   Potential Contribution: Editor Based CRUD Example
236275  nor  P3  All  eclipselink.foundation-inbo...  NEW   Bad error message for ListContainerPolicy and DescriptorException.attributeTypeNotValid
> Collection is more lenient than list
> Impact: people cannot use ListContainerPolicy
>Chris will look for 1.0.1

236602  enh  P3  Wind  eclipselink.foundation-inbo...  NEW   Make it easier to debug SQLExceptions
>ask for clarification (the SQLException is wrapped in the EclipseLinkException already)

236677  nor  P3  All  eclipselink.foundation-inbo...  NEW   test-oracle target missing from <trunk> forces ../extension.oracle.lib.external location

236456  nor  P3  Wind  eclipselink.oxm-inbox@eclip...  NEW   NullPointerException in EnumTypeConverter

236491  nor  P3  Wind  eclipselink.oxm-inbox@eclip...  NEW   OXM: MW SUPPORT FOR THE DEFAULT NAMESPACE

236601  blo  P3  Wind  eclipselink.oxm-inbox@eclip...  NEW   PessimisticLock.LockNoWait Query Hint doesnt work with MySQL
>workaround: use custom sql