[eclipselink-dev] EclipseLink Development Meeting Minutes - 14 May 2008

Minutes are preceeded by >

14 May 2008 Minutes
---------------------
Attendees:
 Krogh Peter;
 O'Brien Michael;
 Ware Tom;
 Norman Mike
 Smith Shaun
 Meswani Mitesh
 Striffler Roger

Actions:
---------------------
>Action: Tom - send out a link to how we will use Orbit
>Action: Tom: Meeting for OSGI concerning 2nd point PDE - would like to solve in the next day or two
>Action: Peter This will fix space issues - each bundle is 7mb each - we will do 10 and 10 builds
>Action: Tom: Q) for Mitesh) has sun updated to new bundles in case there are problems - will get back to Tom by friday
>Action: All: open new bugs in 1.01 - as soon as the milestone is available

== Agenda May 14 2008 ==

[http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=1&day=30&year=2008&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 2PM EST, Wednesday May 14, 2008]

<b>Dial In Info: </b> 1-888-967-2253, Conf ID/Password: 486546/486546

=== Status updates ===
* Bug Updates:
** [http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/Bugs Bug Queries and other useful links]
** Open for 1.0: 54
** 13 Opened in 1.0 this week.
** 19 closed in 1.0 - good job
>Open in 1.01 - as soon as the milestone is available

Graph last updated Apr 30

[[Image:Bug_graph.PNG]]

* Bug DB usage
** If you are working on a bug, assign it to yourself.
*** add dummy inbox to the cc list.
** Set the target milestone to the correct milestone.
*** Confusion/concern on this part
*** Milestones
**** 1.0M8 are bugs that are to be fixed by the the corresponding milestone build.
**** 1.0 is a bug that is to be fixed by 1.0, but has no current target milestone.
**** 1.0.1 new bugs should be filed against this target

==== 1.0M8 ====
* Milestone release Date - June 4 2008 Final functionality freeze
* 23 Open bugs
* 17 fixed
* Foundation and JPA Status
** Deployment XML rework
*** Bug to merge xml working - clean-up started
* OSGi - Tom

** Wiki - http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/EclipseLinkPDEConversionPlan
** PDE Projects available, eclipselink plugins in maven and jar containing all plug-ins available for download
>Tom 2nd item (PDE) more urgent - wait for a larger meeting audience
>ToM: at some point we want to get everthing into orbit - we need a structure plan for M8
>Orbit = common eclipse repository and share for dependencies
>Example - Ant - we would like a single place to store the version of Ant we are using across projects
>Not everything needs sources
>Action: Tom - send out a link to how we will use Orbit
>Action: Tom: Meeting for OSGI concerning 2nd point PDE - would like to solve in the next day or two
>Tom: There are dependencies such as persistence, activation.jar, also we now have plugins - I would like to ship
>Tom: Q) do we rename the long names? The build is unfixed until we finalize this.
>Tom: No feedback from wiki page sent out to mailing list - no feedback = ok, but we need a decision
>Tom: open bug 221383 - Issue where we have 2 manifests (non-osgi, osgi one) - will deal with it when above build Q) is fixed
>Tom: Action will send out email on closing this bug - silence means all consent

** Discussion
*** Packaging convention for dependancies (i.e. the projects we depend on that are not from Orbit)
**** Do we want a src and bin/classes directory
**** Should classes just exist at the base of the project (what about the jar we eventually create)
**** How should we name the jars we create
*** Packaging dependencies in non-osgi install zip
**** our dependencies are now plugins.  e.g. javax.activation_1.1.0.v200706111329.jar
**** install zip ships with some of these dependencies with shorter current names.  e.g. activation.jar
**** Should we ship the dependencies with the plugin name or rename it to be the shorter name>
** 221383: Move all files in eclipselink.core/resources under src
* Workbench
>Roger: DDR's worked on, all test passing except for 2
>- they broke when switching from oracle to MySQL due to project generation - failing on compilation, but copied generated code works fine

** Tested XML and EIS mapping functionality.
**  Able to open of toplink mapping workbench 10.1.3 projects
** Corrected the issue with Cache Synchronization (replaced functionality erroneously removed)
* MOXy, JAXB, SDO - Blaise D
* DBWS - Mike N
>Mike: dbws issue in core - when local build is working i will update the bug
>Mike: some additional work req to figure out out deployment strategy for glassfish

* Build System
>Build System: Acheivment:
>Peter: we now have bootstrap script and all scripts checked into SVN
>Now that the osgi bundles are being added, we see them on the web - need to fix (5 nightly builds) objections?
>Action: Peter This will fix space issues - each bundle is 7mb each - we will do 10 and 10 builds

* Documentation Status - Rick S
** Complete [[EclipseLink/UserGuide|User's Guide]] available. Minor/final cleanup remaining, as needed.

==== 1.0 Release ====
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Release/1.0#1.0_Release_Criteria | Exit Criteria]]
** 1.0M8  June 4, 2008  Final functionality freeze
** 1.0RC1  June 11, 2008  Release Candidate 1
** 1.0RC2  June 18, 2008  Release Candidate 2
>Action: Tom: Q) for Mitesh) has sun updated to new bundles in case there are problems - will get back to Tom by friday

** 1.0 Release  July 9, 2008  Final 1.0 Release (moved from june 25th to be released after Ganymede)
** Schedule Dependencies
*** Eclipse reviews: graduation, release, and move to RT
*** Ganymede to leverage Equinox 3.4 (June 25)
* Change in scope for 200040: Focus on new JPA usable XML file with key advanced features
** Replacing existing XML schema, full mapping features, and migration deferred to the 1.1 release
* JAXB2 compliance: Not complete for 1.0. Need to document exact support level and advanced features
* Pre-release tasks
** 3rd party works-with approval for Oracle JDBC - Doug
** COMPLETE [[EclipseLink/IPLog | IP Log]] - Peter
** Complete [[EclipseLink/Features | Features Index ]] - Doug with support of all committers
** Complete Examples & How-to materials - Doug/Shaun
** Update wiki Documentation for 1.0 Features - Liza (starting in May) with committer support
** Finalize product packaging and distribution - ZIP(s), Bundle access (update site?)
** Prepare and schedule reviews

=== General Issues ===
* DONE Bugzilla components - sign-off on final changes below
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipselink-dev/msg00640.html
* Automated Testing
** Need SRG test models for JPA, MOXy and SDO
*** DB components of those tests should be simple enough to run on Derby
*** Need to test Core SRG on Derby

=== Upcoming Issues ===

The following items require discussion but are not yet at the stage where a solution can be proposed.

* [[EclipseLink/Development/Examples]]: Strategy for the development and maintenance of examples
* [[EclipseLink/Development/OSGi]]: Strategy for delivery of OSGi/Equinox bundles
* [[EclipseLink/Development/JPA_2.0]]: Strategy for the concurrent development of JPA 2.0 while maintaining JPA 1.0 usage
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Spring]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink within the Spring Framework
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Java6]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink on a Java SE 6 JRE

Back to the top