[eclipselink-dev] Minutes: EclipseLink Dev Meeting Jan 9 2008

Minutes are prefixed by >

Agenda
2PM EST, Wednesday Jan 9th, 2008

Attendees
----------
Tom Ware, Guy Pelletier, David Twelves, Peter Krogh, Michael O'Brien, Neil Hauge, Roger Striffler

New Questions to answer for Jan 16, 2008
>QUESTION 1) general thought on publishing lrg results on nightly builds?
>QUESTION 2) Neil: looking at backwards compatibility - how much? how far back in toplink versions?
>QUESTION 3) Neil: need to get integrated into the build - who to talk to? Tom/James for now
>QUESTION 4) Shawn: We should tag milestones - a bug is entered
>QUESTION 5) Shawn: objections to creating a branch for this OSGI work - OK

== Agenda Jan 9, 2008 ==

[http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=1&day=9&year=2008&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 2PM EST, Wednesday January 9th, 2008]

<b>Dial In Info: </b> 1-888-967-2253, Conf ID/Password: 486546/486546

=== Status updates ===

* IP Review ([[EclipseLink/IPLog]])
** EclipseLink code being reviewed
** [[EclipseLink/Dependencies]] - All approved. Still need PMC approval for 3rd party dependencies - Doug
3rd party still being worked out

** Main TopLink Contribution awaiting final review
** Workbench CQ Approved
** UserGuide CQ Approved
* Dual Licensing with BSD
header in the source will need to be updated when done

** Awaiting BSD availability. Working with Eclipse Foundation legal
** Will update all source in SVN and CQ with dual license header when available

==== 1.0M4 ====
* Milestone release Date - Feb 6th
>Wed feb 6th was first pick
>We need a more filled out M4 page

* Milestone 3 complete and up on download site.
>release up, mostly bugfixes

* Automated build
>testing of automated builds in

** Continuous builds - Action item: Peter to investigate continuous build
** continuous build turned off temporarily - to be started up again Jan 10th
>Tom is doing some automated testing

*** Tests to be added to continuous build shortly after
* Automated Testing - Tom
>Nightly builds running core srg which passes
>peter close to publishing it
>jpa full regression is capable of passing pending split into lrg/srg
>all the other components require lrg/srg split as well
>next milestone will schedule up this work

>David, put most of sdo tests into srg
>moxy runs 10 min on 4 platforms - need to get subset of tests
>dbws is a target for the next milestone

>lrg's will run with nightly builds only
>currently the core lrg does not run to completion due to possilbe security config issues

>QUESTION 1) general thought on publishing lrg results on nightly builds?
>problem is right now they dont run to completion

** Some refactoring of the build scripts has occurred to allow tests to run more smoothly.  More is coming.
** JPA FullRegressionTestSuite and core SRG pass on EclipseLink build server
** JPA, MOXy, SDO and DBWS SRGs are needed
** Core SRG runs automatically with build
** Publication of test results
*** HTML version of Core SRG results published with each build
*** Peter working on making result linkable.
* Foundation and JPA Status - Peter K
** Deprecation Removal - Kyle
>should be in shortly
>metadata progress: next milestone first step will be completed

* OXM, JAXB, SDO - Blaise D
* Documentation Status - Rick S
>edited status online

** Complete [[EclipseLink/UserGuide|User's Guide]] available. Minor/final cleanup remaining.

>Tom: some problems with default state of mysql
>srg tests have always run on mysql

>Workbench update:
>updating to work with mysql
>QUESTION 2)Neil: looking at backwards compatibility - how much? how far back in toplink versions?
>which projects will we support importing into the workbench
>Shawn: same approach we do for runtime (via package renamer)
>We need to run this by product management
>right now we read metadata from 10.1.3 to 11 as 11 is not out yet
>Neil: needs to migrate the fabric compatibility tests
>Neil: QUESTION 3) need to get integrated into the build - who to talk to? Tom/James for now
>Tie into the root trunk directory ant script to start any new components

** Adding crosslinks from/to examples, FAQs, etc.
** Working on [[EclipseLink/UserGuide/Contributor_Guidelines|Contributor Guidelines]]
** Javadocs linked from [[EclipseLink/UserGuide|User's Guide]]
** Improved searching
* OSGi/Equinox and EclipseLink
** Proposal to create branch in SVN for exploration of [[EclipseLink/Development/OSGi|EclipseLink as OSGi bundles]].
>Shawn: OSGI for M3
>Branch into subversion as a sandbox
>need comparison capability possibly more than offerred by Tortoise but changes are very minor
>QUESTION 4) Shawn: We should tag milestones - a bug is entered
>QUESTION 5) Shawn: objections to creating a branch for this work - OK

==== 1.0 Exit Criteria ====
* 1.0 [[EclipseLink/Development/Release/1.0#1.0_Release_Criteria | Exit Criteria]] now documented. Please review and provide feedback on the dev mailing list - Doug
* Need to provide projected release date. Planning for first half of 2008. Waiting for JAXB 2.1 compliance estimates - Doug

=== General Issues ===
* nightly eclipselink.jar checked into build -
** bug created: [http://bugs/eclipse.org/211760 211760]
* new Productname EPS(EclipseLink) may be causing issues with our meta data
** Bugs button is now greyed out, and I can't figure out how to fix it.  Escape brackets???
* Auto generation of backlog list from bugs.
** Like to try this for M3.  Peter to follow up
* SVN Proxy

=== Upcoming Issues ===

The following items require discussion but are not yet at the stage where a solution can be proposed.

* [[EclipseLink/Development/Examples]]: Strategy for the development and maintenance of examples
* [[EclipseLink/Development/OSGi]]: Strategy for delivery of OSGi/Equinox bundles
* [[EclipseLink/Development/JPA_2.0]]: Strategy for the concurrent development of JPA 2.0 while maintaining JPA 1.0 usage
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Spring]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink within the Spring Framework
* [[EclipseLink/Development/Java6]]: Strategy for using EclipseLink on a Java SE 6 JRE

Back to the top