[eclipselink-dev] Minutes: EclipseLink Dev Meeting Dec 05 2007

Minutes are prefixed by >

Attendees
----------
Doug Clarke, Guy Pelletier, David Twelves, Peter Krogh, Mike Norman, Michael O'Brien, Blaise Doughan, Gordon Yorke, Neil Hauge, Rick Sapir, Kyle Chen

Status updates
---------------

*1.0M2 Dec 5th
>build after this meeting, wait on remove stubs for RMI, put up on website, refresh javadocs, blog

Milestone 2 to be built and put up today.
*Automated build - Tom W
-Continuous builds - Action item: Peter to investigate continuous build
-Simple continuous build up and running (V1.0)
-compiling only (No automated tests running)
-email sent to dev list if the build fails. info sent in the email.
-Build kicked off every halfhour on the halfhour between 6:00am and 8:00pm. No change detection
>email sent to Peter if it succeeds - working on this and breaking behavior
>hasnt appeared since yesterday morning, some wacky cron job is running.
>built every 30 min.

*Automated Testing - Tom W
>is not running every night, but you can run it manually
>all tests are modified to run on mysql - almost

JPA Tests run, some failures - Core tests hang
>1 edit away from putting jpa tests in automated build

*Publication of test results - Peter K

*Javadocs (Bug 210439) - Peter K
-DONE: Javadocs are building and being hosted on the downloads page nightly
-DONE: Downloads page to be redesigned to sub pages. see: www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/downloads
-DONE: Hosting the milestone Javadocs - M2 Javadocs Checked into CVS. found here http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/api/1.0/index.html. Will link from M2 page.
>javadocs generated on date or milestone #
>talk about - no link from left hand side of page - says "user manual" - need javadocs landing page, or submenu
>there is a link from the javadocs to this page - goto wiki "userdocs", list of highlevel - a link to the javadocs exists there.
>aspectJ calls this "docs"

*Foundation and JPA Status - Tom W
>no more on top of the rest of this update
>Guy: review coming for metadata work
>Gordon: working on bugs, deprecation is complete

>Blaise: SDO
>Add a week for SDO to be functionally complete

**Deprecation Removal - Kyle
>Everything has been removed IE: @deprecated
>Verify - Is there any deprecated code left in eclipselink? if so we will turn back on the deprecation warnings on the projects

*OXM, JAXB, SDO - Blaise D

*Documentation Status - Rick S
- Ongoing. More than 120 pages currently available.
- VERIFY: Target Milestone 1.0M2 - Please set all bugs closed in 1.0M2 to have target milestone of 1.0M2
>permanent location for javadocs is this location for 1.0
>when 2.0 starts we will start a new location
>Rick: everything is on the wiki - minus the non ported code
>file a doc bug for any missing features
>developers seeing doc problems - what to do? Simple change - edit wiki in place, or log a bug if uncomfortable or if the change is larger
>Peter: Ideally file bugs for everything - except for typos - just fix that.
>Rick will monitor the level of changes

*1.0M3
**Proposed delivery date: January 8th, 2008
>Doug
>Workbench completed their IP review - good to go, they have a folder
>Neil may commit to Jan 8th - close
>Neil: some changes made to automap, making changes to work against mysql - ie: testing
>Doug: will work with guy
>Doug: Inital workbench to be put in, SDO 2.1 will be in
>Doug: hopefully before M3 a larger plan will be put in place - we need to pick a date and work backwards on what will be in

**High Level Goals?
-Complete removal of deprecated code?
>Near completion
>Evolving metatdata format
>27 closed bugs
>James had a general question about the states from resolved to closed - in review
>Who is your QA to "close" the bug
>We should be closing our own bugs - possibly after the automated build - if you file yourself
>A bug from outside should be closed by the person raising it - possibly overhead in pinging customers

-Initial EclipseLink-ORM.XML XSD (Bug 200040) with bugs logged for additional XML and annotations
-Automated testing using MySQL with published results?
-Initial working version of Workbench?

*1.0 Exit Criteria
Need to firm up 1.0 Release Criteria
Need to provide projected release date

General Issues
--------------
*Checkin requirements for committers.
-Committers should build all non extension components successfully.
-Still required now that there is a continuous build?
>Peter: Continuous build
>We do not want the CB to break, so CB will run nightly
>A broken CB will be very hard to triage

*Bug Flow https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/page.cgi?id=fields.html#status
-How to handle? get QA involved?
>Peter: send out not to remind developers to file EclipseLink bugs

>When QA starts certifying EclipseLink they will get involved

-DONE: Generated installer.zip should be removed from the repository
>Dev process: try to put something in the comment - like the bug# - TBD

*nightly eclipselink.jar checked into build -
-bug created: 211760

*new Productname EPS(EclipseLink) may be causing issues with our meta data
*Bugs button is now greyed out, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Escape brackets???
>Attempting to fix - possibly file a bug with the bug master for the php code - the () are not causing problems with bug searches
*Using EclipseLink in Equinox update - Shaun
>Not a lot of work beyond what is optimal packaging of the products - ie : bundles
>exposing functionality via bundles - need drivers as to what this will look like - Brian
>working classloader issues
>sdo has some unpleasant issues in this process
>Created sandbox for what bundles look like
>Works well with EclipseLink as one bundle - splitting has some issues - due to classloader issues
>Brian Hunt asked why are these pluggins?
>2 choices
>1) convert how we do development in pluggins
>2) convert single codebase to pluggins
>>Heiarchical projects are problematic in the folder structure - need large impact decisions on our SVN structure

*SVN Tagging of milestones and releases - Shaun/Tom
-bug created: 211759
>Tag from a command-line on SVN - adding a couple of lines to the build script
>the Ant task "exec" is not being used at this point

*Development process: Email announcements - Doug
-Usage of the dummy email inboxes per components. You can register interest to get notified for all bugs of a given component
-Mailing lists: eclipselink.<component>-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx. You can register interest on your bugzilla preferences->email
-When you assign a bug to yourself please add the dummy inbox to the cc list
-Can we leverage this style of email announcement instead of eclipselink-dev. We could then use the dev mailing list to announce major new features or the start of projects and it is then up to interested parties to add themselves to the specific bug's cc list or ensure they are getting component bug notifications.
-Auto generation of backlog list from bugs.
>differences from above
>Gordon: proposal on eclipselink-bug list
>The current process creates too much volume on minor updates
>propose start bug process on bug list not dev list - on hold
>However: we need to capture bug discussion inside the bug and not so much on email - which should be used for notifications
>We will monitor the level of traffic on the current single mailing list for now
>Possible RSS feed in the future to track bug updates
>In the M3 list 2 queries : (1) bugs assigned for m3 and (2) the unassigned bugs

*Upcoming Issues
The following items require discussion but are not yet at the stage where a solution can be proposed.

Action items: