[eclipselink-dev] Minutes: EclipseLink Dev Meeting Nov 21 2007

Attendees
----------
Wayne Beaton, Peter Krogh, Gordon Yorke, Tom Ware, Michael O'Brien, Guy Pelletier, David Twelves, Blaise Doughan, Peter Krogh, Mike Norman, Shaun Smith, Roger Striffler, Neil Hauge, Rick Sapir, & Doug Clarke

Status updates
---------------
* M2 Status
* Automated build - Tom W
- Up and running
- The incubation.zip currently checked into SVN needs to be removed

* Automated Testing - Tom W
- Tom working on this. Need to address JDBC driver for MySQL
- Building automatically, just need config parameters.
- cron job running, 10 nightly builds keyp around.
- zip not checked in, but the M1 link represents the latest build.

* Publication of test results - Peter K to begin gathering requirements.
- published links, just not into the svn repository

* Javadocs Proposal - Peter K
** Full vs partial javadocs (recommend full)
- We will generate the JavaDocs into a ZIP as part of the nightly build and make it separately available.
- The JavaDocs will also be made available in a fixed location in exploded HTML format for 1.0 and updated regularly until the 1.0 release ships. This will be updated on Milestone builds starting in M2.
- Need to investigate filtering the JavaDocs generated using standard tools (by package)
- Partial instead of full javadocs? no - use full javadocs
- The full version is smaller than a complete javadoc but is more than what is currently shipped.
- Publish on a DL server that the wiki links to but not until we release.
- Possibly use help.eclipse.org as a location but will require us to wait for the nightly build to regenerate the docs.

* Foundation and JPA Status - Tom W
- working deprecated API removal
* OXM, JAXB, SDO - Blaise D
- bugs for 3 features, functional specs, emails sent out
- SDO deprecated API removal see 209413
- where to put images in docs? use current 1 at a time upload - we need a batch image upload
- for staged docs just put a disclaimer on the page that is is in draft mode
- possibly put images on a cvs server and link to them from the pages

* Documentation Status - Rick S
- help.eclipse.org is generated on nightly build
- Docs (IE: dali) are not editable without closed source tools
- 60-70 pages or 30 to 40 percent is out there and ready for discussion and editing
- note some links/photos are broken as part of the automated conversion but are being fixed.
- Need blog traffic on docs later in the process
- What if we setup a doc root in cvs(website) for committers and link to all the images and update at once?
- Wiki will auto version new versions of docs and images.
- Recommendation (Gordon) we switch to open doc format for editing design docs in star office or lotus...
- For presentations publish both PDF and original PPT source for editing.

* ER 200040: New XSD for metadata: Need agreement on goals, benefits, and risks/issues - Guy P.
- Evolving towards public review - everyone must review this and prepare for review next week.
- Up front schema or iterative approach?
- A new moxy feature has been developed to exercise the new schema - bug pending.
- We need moxy to fill in defaults.
- Requirement driven from jaxb are pending that may modify the schema

General Issues
--------------
* Packaging of EclipseLink as plugings, Maven, ... - Wayne Beaton
- Wayne (pluggins)
- Higgins is not a pluggin (firefox in c)
- Components and pluggins are used interchangably.
- More bundles now - changed in 3.0 via OSGI
- Declaritively state dependencies on other components
- Eclipse is actually an SDK not an IDE
- The RCP rich client platform core is language independent (maestro via NASA)
- Further we have equinox which eclipse (and retooled Spring run on) following OSGI.
- We need to produce a bundle for projects that care about OSGI - like Maya (May install)
- Bundles can share eclipselink.  You can declare versions of the jar and setup equinox can manage these versioned dependencies.
- Dependencies can be optional, and declared by one member of a group.
- Jaxb should be in its own bundle - in Orbit (A respository for usefull common things)
- Orbit solves the problem of location for public api dependencies - ie: JAXB - that a lot of other bundles also need.
- Buckminster?
- Team Project? - check out projs from cvs - for team sharing of check outs.
- OSGI can be used as standard jars.
- Create a pluggin for europa to applicable to end users - but they just need the jar file.
- Manifest.mf required for bundles
- Pluggin.xml is not required.
- We need to make an equinox bundle that someone can verify.
- The internal state of webtools(J2EE ide) uses derby - eclipseling could have value in the ide in this scenario.

-Pluggin use case:
-- Can we setup our bundle in the eclipse update site so that all dependencies are pulled down and setup (1 of the sum of x bundles).  With /without ide changes. - like junit capability.
- Packaging eclipselink inside dali may be a good route - piggyback on its bundle.

- Identify the shortcomings in OSGI so we can target it and the equinox use case.
- Prob 1: how to do weaving
-- Change the bytecode of a class in the classloader in someone elses' bundle - weaving.

- Future howto:
-- How to build equinox bundle using toplink.