--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 7:56 AM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe I am completely blind, but this comes a bolt out of the blue to me. Surely some discussion was merited?

Just to give a bit of background context, there have been many discussions about this in the past, both in public and private. As a committer rep it is the single biggest thing I have been lobbied to support in the past 3 years. I have the same fragmentation concerns, but I believe the benefits for those projects outweigh the downside. The reality for most developers is that they already deal with libraries developed on GitHub and we will never have a completely "closed system" where the entire software dependency chain lives at eclipse.org. Being forced to use bugzilla has also been a significant barrier to attracting and keeping projects at the Eclipse Foundation.

For even more background, here is a thread and bugzilla where these requests have surfaced in the past:

John