From: Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 at 23:59
Subject: sponsoring: Long outstanding issue with JDT + M2Eclipse
To: Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Buck <paul.buck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <stephan.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all and Happy new year!

Today a users again asked for a very special issue regarding module
support in combination with m2eclipe (maven) and JDT:

https://github.com/eclipse-m2e/m2e-core/issues/173

As JPMS is getting more important, but even if a lot of Eclipse users
are affected, the usual contributors (when using OSGi most of the time
instead of JPMS) are not affected so the force to move forward here is
quite low.

Stephan Herrmann already analyzed it a bit but there is not much
progress over the last two years so I'd like to suggest this as a
candidate for the WG to sponsor development to push this forward!

If this is decided as a thing for the WG, I think Stephan can get the
best insight about the working-packages required for:

1) probably getting this standardized with Oracle (test-modules-info.java)
2) what needs to be done in JDT-core and JDT UI

Probably this can even be combined as JDT could implement a
proof-of-concepts and then this could be the base for a draft JEP.

The M2Eclipse part would then be another topic but would make much more
sense to implement the basics in JDT first.

best
  Christoph

Back to the top