From: Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] about_files and JPMS
Date: August 28, 2019 at 15:26:18 GMT+2

On Aug 28, 2019, at 13:30, Hudalla Kai (INST/ECS4) <kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Hono (IoT) project indeed includes the legal docs in each jar file
that we distribute. I think it makes it easier for people and tooling to
determine the license that the jar can be consumed under. We put all the
legal docs into the META-INF folder ...

For some more background, I'm referring to the practice documented here:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/About_files

However, after reviewing the project handbook it seems that the requirement around legal documents accompanying a jar changed.

For content delivered as Java archive (JAR) files, for example, the legal files should be placed in the META-INF directory.

Thus, the requirement to have an about.html file no longer exist. I found an old reference on the page, which seems incorrect. Also, the requirement to collect about_files seems to have been replaced with the NOTICE file.

Source:
https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#legaldoc

Kai, what you are doing looks like the recommended practise to me.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/