Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] SimRel Naming

On 14/05/2018 5:06 AM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

Could we take a step back for a moment?

We've sort of stepped backward and forward repeatedly over several months now...

In addition to straightening out the name for the simultaneous release, we also need to come up with a new name for the Eclipse top-level project so that it conforms to the usual trademark guidelines that apply to all Eclipse projects.

Yes, we've discussed this situation several times.

Is there perhaps at least a small chance that naming the simrel would become easier if we had a name for the project upon which most of the simrel is based?

Yes, if the platform has a branded name, that would give some better overall direction.

If the Eclipse Project decides to rename itself the Eclipse Quark project, then wouldn't have an influence on the discussion here? (I am not sure if Dani was joking about the "Q" name, but it is not an inherently bad idea.)

Dani can speak for himself, but I believe that was a suggestion for the name of one specific release.  Personally I feel that coming up with a new release name every 4 months is kind of a brick wall...

I sort of have a hunch that maybe we've put the cart before the horse.

Indeed, but the cart moves forward in July...

Note that I am not saying that the name of the top-level project would automatically become the brand we use for the desktop IDE or the simrel. All I'm saying is that having the name of the TLP might provide the anchor that Gunnar was looking for.

Certainly having some brand name associated with the Eclipse Platform would help guide the discussion.

FWIW, this quote from Nick Boldt really resonated with me: "Call it what you will, it's still the quarterly desktop IDE release train."

Which isn't exactly an interesting brand name.
Which is why calling the simrel "Eclipse Desktop Platform 09-2018" or "Eclipse Quark(*) 09-2018" or even "Eclipse Code(*) 09-2018" would all be fine IMO. Anything that makes it sound like it encompasses everything at the Eclipse Foundation (e.g. "Eclipse 09-2018") is not okay.

I did ask for guidance on this subject at the board meeting but was left with little that I could bring back to the council on this subject.  And of course, as I keep asking, where do we expect to see this name?

(*) pending trademark review and approval

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top