Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] SimRel Naming

Hi Mike,

Le 14/05/2018 à 05:06, Mike Milinkovich a écrit :
On 2018-05-04 9:32 AM, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
I'm trying to find an anchor that will help us break up the issue. It seems we are stuck in this cycle:  we can't change the name - it's too complex - look at all the artifacts and things - oh so lets break it up and look at those - no we don't want to change them - so back to the name - but all the things.... tbc

Could we take a step back for a moment?

In addition to straightening out the name for the simultaneous release, we also need to come up with a new name for the Eclipse top-level project so that it conforms to the usual trademark guidelines that apply to all Eclipse projects. Is there perhaps at least a small chance that naming the simrel would become easier if we had a name for the project upon which most of the simrel is based? If the Eclipse Project decides to rename itself the Eclipse Quark project, then wouldn't have an influence on the discussion here? (I am not sure if Dani was joking about the "Q" name, but it is not an inherently bad idea.)

I sort of have a hunch that maybe we've put the cart before the horse. Note that I am /not/ saying that the name of the top-level project would automatically become the brand we use for the desktop IDE or the simrel. All I'm saying is that having the name of the TLP might provide the anchor that Gunnar was looking for.

FWIW, this quote from Nick Boldt really resonated with me: /"Call it what you will, it's still the quarterly desktop IDE release train."/

Which is why calling the simrel "Eclipse Desktop Platform 09-2018" or "Eclipse Quark(*) 09-2018" or even "Eclipse Code(*) 09-2018" would all be fine IMO. Anything that makes it sound like it encompasses everything at the Eclipse Foundation (e.g. "Eclipse 09-2018") is not okay.

(*) pending trademark review and approval

Our purpose here was to name the release train and nothing else.
I think that for the top level project, it is not a decision that should be done by this council.

And to sum up, the planning council agreed during the last call that the release train will be named 'Eclipse SimRel YYYY-MM'.

I proposed last week to the council members on this list, the following urls, that are just technical artifacts:
* splashcreen :
only YYYY-MM

* repo :
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/YYYY-MM

* latest repo :
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/latest

* wiki :
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:SimRel-YYYY-MM
https://wiki.eclipse.org/SimRel/YYYY-MM/Simultaneous_Release_Plan

It is clear that in a (near) future different release trains will exist depending on different communities and so different cycles. This could be orchestrated at a high level by the Planning Council to organize sub committees and help them to provide their own release trains based on his experience. All those release trains will have their own schedules, branding... We agreed that when this will occur we will search a dedicated name/branding for the existing-legacy release train, until then we should keep the one we agreed on.

Best regards,
--
Mélanie Bats
CTO

*Obeo*
25 Boulevard Victor Hugo - Colomiers - France
http://www.obeo.fr

Back to the top