Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] SimRel Naming

Gunnar,

Comments below.

On 04.05.2018 16:58, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
On May 4, 2018, at 16:29, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
splash screen: "Photon" -> number ==> ok
url: "Photon" -> number ==> ok
name: "Photon" -> number ==> not sufficient (based on branding guidelines)
And "name:" here is used what context?
So what do we do with the name?
Indeed, where do we use this name?
Given that I excluded URL and Splash above and EPP before. What is left? Mostly docs and public naming of the release train.
Perhaps what's left then is next to nothing.  Just some "docs" whatever those might be.   And perhaps the "public" doesn't care about the train nor what we call it.  They'll only care that the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers has a new 2018-09 version that supports Java 11.   Or that the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers has a 2018-09 version that supports all the cool stuff in the Eclipse Jarkata 2018-09 stuff; okay, I'm dreaming a little. :-P  But I expect that in the end the public will care about updates to their favorite tool, technology or framework, and about what's new and noteworthy, and won't give a hoot about what we call out train.

Propsals so far:
- SimRel
- IDE
- Desktop IDE
- DevTools
- Photon

What is your vote for the name then?
The Planning Council decided to use SimRel for the time being.
But isn't that what people don't like and want to replace? Or is SimRel good?
As long as we generally use  the term/name internally, SimRel seems fine.  When we need a term/name for external purposes, it's probably better to avoid that need and to describe what it is rather than assign a name/term to it.

-Gunnar