(Note, I don't mean the character from Family Guy, I mean a boggy swamp / or sticky predicament.)

Giggity,

Nick

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why not just find a name that starts with 'Q' then ;-)

Dani

From:        Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclipse.org>
Date:        04.05.2018 15:32
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] SimRel Naming
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On May 4, 2018, at 14:54, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 4, 2018, at 12:43, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Part of my "too narrow IDE focus" is caused by combining 1 with 2+3. I think 2+3 must have IDE in it's brand name (and URLs).
A segment in a URL is not a brand. :P

Why not? It has been the brand for many many years now....
I'm just taking the liberty to quote Mike on this point.  A URL falls in the "technical artifacts" domain, like Java package names, executable names, and so on. No one (and certainly not the Board) has suggested that we ought to change a whole whack of URLs, package names, executable names.

Aren't you throwing multiple things together to find an argument? I'm trying to find an anchor that will help us break up the issue. It seems we are stuck in this cycle:  we can't change the name - it's too complex - look at all the artifacts and things - oh so lets break it up and look at those - no we don't want to change them - so back to the name - but all the things.... tbc

So, why not focus the discussion on the URL (segment)? Maybe it will be helpful on our path towards solving the name issue?
Well, I suggested that just as Photon, the product version indicator in the splash screen, is replaced by YYYY-MM, so too photon, the version indicator in the URL, is replaced by YYYY-MM.  In both cases a brand is replaced by something informative, i.e., something that is merely a version indicator and not a brand.

I'm not objecting to the informative number in URLs, splash screen, etc.

My concern was the hijack of a global, nice, dominant URL that maybe useful for other outside the SimRel, too. But I'm fine leaving that untouched for now.

So we have:

splash screen: "Photon" -> number ==> ok
url: "Photon" -> number ==> ok
name: "Photon" -> number ==> not sufficient (based on branding guidelines)

So what do we do with the name?

Propsals so far:
- SimRel
- IDE
- Desktop IDE
- DevTools
- Photon

What is your vote for the name then?

A side note to URLs. My viewpoint is pretty radical here - if I'm changing something - and we are to some extend - I'd like to make the proper change. Just because something came first doesn't mean it's guaranteed to stay forever. There is redirect functionality for legacy urls. There are ways to phase out old urls and introduce new/better ones. For some odd reason, I do believe that a nice url is part of your brand because it's part of your identity. I'd like to see ide.eclipse.orgbecome the identity for the IDE and the release train. But yeah, maybe it's too much change.

-Gunnar

IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to the Eclipse Foundation.  To be permanently removed from this list, you must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.