Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Next Planning Council call : May2

+1

Dani

From:        Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        03.05.2018 17:45
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Next Planning Council call : May2
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dani,
This is why I keep pointing out that it's important to ask "where is the name used".  I don't think there is or was any suggestion in these threads, at the meeting, nor in the wiki, that the splash screen will/should include techno jargon terminology.   Just YYYY-MM will definitely suffice.
In email exchanges we're likely to use "SimRel YYYY-MM" or "simrel YYYY-MM" rather than just "YYYY-MM" as if a date were a noun that means more than just a date.
I think URLs like the following are where we see something more than just YYYY-MM, again to associate some noun in order to give the date meaning:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:SimRel-2018-09
https://wiki.eclipse.org/SimRel/2018-09/Simultaneous_Release_Plan
So in the splash screen, of course the product brand will give sufficient context to make YYYY-MM meaningful all by itself.  So in the end, we don't actually need to invent a new brand around the name of each release because we have no important place to use that brand name in the first place.  The slash screen was the only place of any real public, end-user significance where the train name was used, and that we've eliminated.

Cheers,
Ed