Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Simultaneous ReleaseBrainstorming

+1 for option 2.

I suggest to finalize this in next week's call.

Dani

From:        "Mélanie Bats" <melanie.bats@xxxxxxx>
To:        Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        26.02.2018 18:11
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Simultaneous Release        Brainstorming
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I finally find the time to prepare the possible schedule for the post
photon releases according to :
* 13 weeks cadence as proposed by Nick (solution 1 & 2)
* 12 weeks cadence as discussed durinig our last call (solution 3)

You can find the two possibility on this document :
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spreadsheets_d_1BZywK-2DgKbK-2DfmcEkxv550OHmw01xEN07RK9LMPSE40g_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=1UITCR5rxUZHSFczvfaNFK4ymEbEiccRX7VKchpqz0Y&m=-H64fc5wcHxiq_YwxV1oNY6EJMuepUHg2zTuCjS9xEg&s=CUbrtnt-A2LMSE0G5Ah6UNo8XMhR5ZYgZ_PDlJ0TqYk&e=

I will send this email to cross project this week to share our plan with
the whole community :

"Hi,

The Planning Council proposes to change the simultaneous release cadence
after Photon to give up with the year long ramp-up to the release for a
rolling release.

After Photon :
* The releases will occur almost every xx weeks.
* All the work will be done only on one stream.
* And that only one repository will be used that will be continuously
updated. A stable "latest" update site will be used to allow the user to
update continuously.
* Specific update sites will be available to reference any release. No
composite repos will be built.
* The opt-in process will evolve, mostly projects would be assumed "in"
and someone will take care of cleaning the outdated projects from time
to time.
* It would be possible to add, update and remove API on any release.

The following release cycle planning is proposed:
C1 Friday Week 3 Checkpoint
M1 Friday Week x
C2 Friday Week x
RC1 Friday Week x API & Feature freeze
RC2 Friday Week x, it is assumed all code is done by the end of RC2.
GA Wednesday Week 12

Due to this rolling release, our yearly code name pattern does not make
sense anymore. Consequently, we propose a yearly.monthly pattern, for
instance the releases after Photon would be :
Eclipse 2018.09, Eclipse 2018.12, Eclipse 2019.03, Eclipse 2019.06...

What do you think?
"

Thanks for your reviews and comments,
--
Mélanie Bats
CTO

*Obeo*
25 Boulevard Victor Hugo - Colomiers - France
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.obeo.fr&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=1UITCR5rxUZHSFczvfaNFK4ymEbEiccRX7VKchpqz0Y&m=-H64fc5wcHxiq_YwxV1oNY6EJMuepUHg2zTuCjS9xEg&s=Ufjma6gSugKexc6l0PIGmu8DiauKeXSYWblAqjyzEOs&e=