Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Reminder of first Wednesday meeting, August 3, 12 noon

Got it.
Thanks for the clear explanation.

Marc

From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 3, 2016 18:13
To: Eclipse Planning Council private list
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Reminder of first Wednesday meeting, August 3, 12 noon

It is not common, but occasionally a project "ends" or effectively "ends" if, say, nearly all committers "resign". In those sorts of cases it is just polite to announce what is going on -- that the project does not plan or is not able to contribute anything new. But their existing contribution would still be "copied" to the next version.
It may indeed cause problems if their initial Neon version no longer works with Neon.1, but so far that has never happened.

All I was trying to say is our assumption is "once in, always in" and any deviations from that should be announced.

And, remember, our "neon" repository is a composite repository. While they are not literally named this way on disk, the neon composite initially consists of only Neon.0. Then at Neon.1, the neon repository composite consists of Neon.0 and Neon.1. At Neon.2, the neon composite consists of Neon.0, Neon.1, and Neon.2., etc.

When we were talking, in the meeting, about no way to pull a project out of a released repository, we meant, for example, that once "Neon.0" exists, it should never be changed. There are even some exceptions to that rule, but I'll save those for another day :) and make sure I am answering your main question.