Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Planning the release dates for Oxygen.0 and Neon.X update releases

Nick,

From a marketing perspective, it would be best to ship at exactly the same time as Java 9 itself. Our preference would be Thursday, March 23rd.

In general I like your idea about making the releases go out on Wednesdays. Fridays are definitely not a good idea. This would be an exception to that general rule, to tie tightly with Java 9.

On 2016-07-05 10:37 AM, Nick Boldt wrote:
Given that Java 9 is already feature complete [1] and will have a
final RC by Jan 26 2017, I'm pretty sure that's enough time for Neon.3
to include support for Java 9.

The only question, then, is should we target the Neon.3 release /
marketing / announcements *the same week as the Java 9 GA, at Devoxx*,
a week before, or even a week later?

Also, since these releases are now *more than just a service release*,
I think it would make sense to move these releases to Wednesdays (as
done for Neon.0) instead of Fridays (as done for Mars.1, Mars.2). Then
there's more opportunity to get a marketing splash in place, and more
eyeballs will see it than on a Friday.

If we do that, we can either:
* shorten the "quiet week" by two days, or
* add 5 extra days to the end of the schedule (as we had for Neon.0)

If the former, then Neon.3 would GA on Mar 15, also known as the ides
of March. If the latter, then Neon.3 would GA on Mar 22, a day before
the JDK 9 GA and right in the middle of Devoxx.

 From a marketing perspective, would you want to use "The IDEs of
March" to promote the "a turning point in Eclipse history, as one of
the events that marked the transition from the historical period
(before we did a .3 release, before there was JDK 9)" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_of_March ... not the IDEs of March.
:D

Or would it be better to just aim for Devoxx week?

If you tell me the best day to do the announcement, I can adjust the
wiki accordingly to align with that date - be it a Wed or Fri,
before/during/after Devoxx.

Nick

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Mike Milinkovich