Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Reminder of first Wednesday meeting:9/2, 12 noon

On 3 Sep 2015, at 16:14, Doug Schaefer wrote:

On 2015-09-03, 2:33 AM, "eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
on behalf of Max Rydahl Andersen"
<eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2 Sep 2015, at 21:47, Doug Schaefer wrote:

My actual proposal, which wasn¹t captured, at this point is to move
the September release to October to make it evenly spaced but 3
releases per year. Projects should be free to release service releases
at any time if we can share how to update individual projects with
Check for Updates.

Unless p2 suddenly upgraded its voodoo powers this won't work for
anything inside an EPP package afaik.

And if we want to do this there is a big difference in performance and
downstream side effects if we allow updates of individual components
into the main release updatesite (i.e. in worst care I for one would
have to tell users to stop using it and use our mirror instead if they
want to be sure our plugins will work on it).

If the suggestion is just as what been possible before (egit releasing
updates into their own updatesite) then that is fine.

The correct method is part of the ³sharing² process I mentioned. I hear anecdotal evidence that projects have managed to get this working with EPP
packages but I haven¹t heard the details.

Okey, I would definitely been interested in hearing more about how this was done too then.

I was pretty clear that I was talking about ³Service Releases² as
candidates for this process. Service releases are bug fix releases that
the projects have deemed important enough to put a release together
instead of playing with the next minor release. Not sure why you wouldn¹t
want users to get them.

If you meant pure service releases then sure, then less of a problem.

Then it should go into the main updatesite - not require growing the list of updatesites :)

/max

Doug.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to the Eclipse Foundation. To be permanently removed from this list, you
must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.