Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Please review my notes from Wednesday's call (from 8/5, 12 Noon)

That part of the discussion (about having milestones during "update release" months, needs more thought and discussion). We never did discuss it much, I too late to have any impact on Mars.1 (and, probably no need to change for Mars.2 ... but, plenty of  time to discuss that.

So far, no changes, to Mars plan. I expect it to be a larger issue when doing Neon updates.

Thanks for asking (and offering).

From:        Nick Boldt <nickboldt@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        08/12/2015 04:05 PM
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Please review my notes from Wednesday's call (from 8/5, 12 Noon)
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

In the minutes from last week's call [0], I understood we had discussed renaming the RCs from RC1, RC2, RC3, RC4 to M1, M2, RC1, RC2, so as to emphasize the cutoff date for new contributions to the Mars.1 and Mars.2 update releases.

'We need to (also) add milestones for update releases. I propose we have two milestones, M1 [not sure when, yet], and M2 become what we currently call the "warm-up RC". So, we would end up the 2 milestones, and 3 RC's. The milestones are needed primarily for those new projects joining, or those adding large new features. But, as with mainline development, everyone should contribute "their latest", even if just working on service.'

[0] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Planning_Council/August_05_2015#Mars_Planning

Would you like me to rename the RCs on this page [1] to the new names, keeping the same 4 milestones we have today?

Or are we ADDING milestones before the RC builds? Your notes say we need 2 milestones and THREE RC builds, so does that mean each update cycle now starts a week earlier?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Mars/Simultaneous_Release_Plan#Mars.1

Cheers,

Nick Boldt