Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Next meeting, and some items to decide before next meeting

+1. We shouldn't abuse the terms and only increase when appropriate.

Dani

From:        Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        18.07.2015 05:18
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Next meeting, and some items to decide before next meeting
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Max,

You're scaring me.  One only bumps the major version of a bundle/feature if one actually breaks API, and many if not most downstream bundles specify an upper bound that excludes major version increments for exactly that reason.  As such major version increments imply incompatibility and downstream pain, which is of course not a good message at all.  In other words, version numbers are not a marketing message:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

David,

I think the "minor" wording doesn't actually improve anything, especially given that some projects will do minor releases and some will do service releases.   Note how Max is assuming that the June release is therefore a major release...

Maybe it's best to continue to focus on terminology that reflects what the base platform is doing.  Will they be doing service releases or minor releases?

On point #1.

If we go and call it a minor release - should we also actually bump the minor version of the epp packages ?

And by implication bump major every year ?

Note - none of this should imply anyone inside the release train must break Api just that it is a possibility but we encourage keep things backwards compatible.

I personally think that would be a good message to send.

But interested in hearing arguments for/against it ?

/max

http://about.me/maxandersen

On 17 Jul 2015, at 13:50, David M Williams <