From:        Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        04/04/2015 02:15 PM
Subject:        [eclipse.org-planning-council] Buildship to join Mars
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings Planning Council.

As I stated on the call, I believe that Buildship conforms to the EDP and--pending completion of the IP due-diligence process--is ready to do a proper release from Eclipse.

I have some further work to do to confirm that Buildship meets with the simultaneous release participation requirements.

On this Wednesday's call, we had discussed getting some independent Gradle experts to sign-off on the quality of the project. After some reflection, it occurred to me that we do not make this requirement of any other participant and so I consider it unfair to impose this requirement on Buildship. I would like to remove this from any acceptance criteria.

The EMO considers the inclusion of Gradle tools important for this release. I've discussed why we think this is important at length, but am more than happy to provide more background if necessary. The quality of this new Gradle support is very important, so we're going to take the unprecedented step of connecting with Gradle experts from the community to ensure that the contribution is of the necessary quality. But, again, I don't feel that this is a reasonable criterion for acceptance of the project as part of Mars.

As we discussed, there are two levels of acceptance here. First, we need the Planning Council to allow Buildship to join the simultaneous release. Once on board, I will work with the package maintainers to determine if they will include Buildship in their package definitions or not. There is another further decision to make regarding whether or not it is included in the "Eclipse Projects" Market that we discussed for the Eclipse Marketplace.

With this in mind, I respectfully request that the Planning Council set the following as the acceptance criteria for bringing Buildship into the simultaneous release:

* Conformance with the EDP; and
* Conformance with the rules for participation in the Simultaneous release.

I trust that the Planning Council will accept my assertion that these criteria have been met after I've done my review.

If anybody would like to propose additional acceptance criteria, please do so ASAP.

Since time is tight, I will ask that we start the vote immediately using our standard voting rules. Please respond on this thread with +1, 0, or -1 by EOB on Friday, April 10/2015.

Thanks,

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton