Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Mars+1 Naming Issues

I honestly don't think it matters to announce Mars + 1 at EclipseCon
It is probably the case that most ppl don't know the current release name we are going to ship in June, so telling them what will be the next name probably does not matter. It is not like if we were going to start a big marketing effort right away.
IMO if we have it for the day after the release, it is soon enough.

On 02/25/2015 04:31 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
We don’t have time for that do we? We’re only 2 weeks away from EclipseCon where I believe we wanted to announce the name (/number).

I’m not sure it’s bad luck. He have had trouble a few times over the years.

Doug.

From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM
To: "mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Mars+1 Naming Issues

It does help, Mike, thanks. I probably originally heard "commonly used names", and shorted that in my memory to "common names" where as in legal terms, it means more "generic names". (Which, still doesn't help us lay-people much, in being able to judge such things.)

Given Mike's comment that it was "just bad luck", I still suggest we "restart" expanding the pool to include "O" and "P" as well as "N".

Chris, would you mind? (and, if you can think of how/if to include getting community feedback on "using the year (or other numeral instead)" that might be interesting to know. Such as, if overwhelming support for "just using the year", then ... perhaps we should consider that more seriously? -- then again, if lots of "complaints" about the idea, we'd know not to go down that path.

Thanks,