Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Kepler J8 Release

How about just - No. It's a lot less work.

>From my understanding, Java 8 is likely to have a few updates in the coming days. It's early adopter still and for those adopters, it's pretty easy to install Java 8 support into Kepler. I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment on cross project, nor how wide a concern it really is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
From: David M Williams
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:27 PM
To: Eclipse Planning Council private list
Reply To: Eclipse Planning Council private list
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Kepler J8 Release

This will take some time, just to think through, and discuss with others.

I suggest we discuss at our next "first Wednesday meeting" (April 2) to decide what Planning Council's position is on this.

Thanks for raising it here.

In the mean time, I will leave a few thoughts in the form of questions:

Can we clearly state "what problem we are trying to solve"? Can we clearly state what benefits this would have?
More specifically, is this to benefit adopters? Is its purpose to get more feedback before Luna is released?
How much of the benefits could be obtained by simply having a wiki page that explained "who's provided Kepler SR2 patches" (and, providing a list of "patch URLS")?
My intuition is that your two month estimate is low, and that the best time to do a high quality SR3 would be after Luna ... and don't forget, any "post Kepler" work done now, will mean less work done for Luna (and Mars) ... and if that is the case, is it valid to have an SR after Luna? or does that put it into "LTS space"?
Would we be setting expectations too high? I know that even now, what is in the "JDT/PDE patch for Kepler SR2" is not as functional as what is in Luna I-builds (in some minor ways, right now, but would expect that to grow) so would the community think a Kepler SR3 have the same Java 8 support as Luna? And then be disappointed to learn that wasn't the case?

I have a more open mind than my questions might suggest ... but these are sincere questions I've not seen addressed (admittedly, some may have been, and I skim read too much).
And, I won't speak for Markus, but think you can take it as a good starting assumption that I won't be involved with the "aggregation work" -- I get little enough sleep as it is.

Thanks again,