[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Cutting down requirements
- From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:41:19 -0500
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks very much for the concrete suggestions, John. I've added them to our meeting minutes to have everything in one place.
And thank you to everyone else for the lively, constructive discussion during the meeting. I've incorporated most of everyone's feedback (approx. 80% done) but still have some editing to do. Its great to have you all take such active ownership in the requirements document (and simultaneous release) ... as you always do.
In fact, I would like to schedule an _extra_ meeting, before out "first Wednesday" meeting in December. Firstly, there was an indication at end of meeting that others might have some comments we didn't have time to get to. Second, we need to _finish_ the document at our December meeting, so by then we should be down to wording changes, etc., and I think there are still a few items of substance left to discuss and decide and don't want to risk leaving those hanging till December.
I would like pick the mid-way point of 11/23. I know that is near a popular US Holiday so some might not be able to make it for that reason, but ... I still think its the best choice (unless anyone knows of other conflicting reasons?) and I suspect enough people can attend that we can make progress and finish up the substantive issues. I'll send another note once I have an agenda prepared, but for now, please mark your calendars for
Wednesday, 11/23, 12 noon Eastern.
John Arthorne ---11/09/2011 04:43:51 PM---As I mentioned on the call today, the list of 40+ "requirements" is pretty daunting for new project
From: John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11/09/2011 04:43 PM
Subject: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Cutting down requirements
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
As I mentioned on the call today, the list of 40+ "requirements" is pretty daunting for new projects coming to the train (even if half of them are optional). I think we should take any opportunity we can to cut this down or combine entries. I read through the document this morning and the following came to mind:
1) There are five items about localization: "Message Bundles", "Support Translations", "Excel in NL Support", "Test Localization" and "Enable Use With All Languages". We could probably combine these into a single "Localization" bullet point that contains all the details. We can leave it alone if people think it is helpful but I think having the information in one place would streamline it. Some of the specific technology choices will really vary across projects anyway.
2) Retention Policy - this could just be a sentence on the "Provide p2 repository" entry.
3) Metrics. Do projects really do this? Is it just part of the release review documentation? One option here is just to submit your git repository to http://ohloh.net and let it produce your project stats. dash.eclipse.org, and Wayne's fancy new project pages also provide some stats.
4) Optimization. I'm not really sure what this means. It just provides a link to a list of available p2 ant tasks. The "Provide p2 repository" entry already says repositories need to be conditioned and packed. What other optimization does this refer to?
eclipse.org-planning-council mailing list
IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to the Eclipse Foundation. To be permanently removed from this list, you must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.