RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] RE:[eclipse.org-membership-at-large] Eclipse Project AnnouncementandProject Review Schedule

Thanks for the comments David, especially about recruiting and making committers feel welcomed.

Folks,

I want to point out one important quirk of the Eclipse Development Process here. When a new project starts, the proposed project lead picks the initial set of committers. They are then approved in bulk by the PMC. Hopefully (but unfortunately not always) the project lead attempts to recruit a diverse set of initial committers. There's not much of a meritocracy process at the beginning, and this initial list is really in "good faith". Subsequent committers must be voted upon by the current committers and must have a demonstrable track record of contribution -- the normal approach for adding committers.

This is a quirk, but it's necessary. After all, how does one establish a new project with new committers in the absence of a track record? Typically what happens after the initial committer creation is an eventual cleanup based on the actual activity of those committers, so it hopefully works out in the end. I've incubated 6 projects in DSDP so far, some less successful than others, and I've seen the diversity/activity thing play out first hand. I've certainly received multiple emails from Bjorn warning about lack of diversity on some of the DSDP projects in the past.

What is frustrating me about this project proposal is that there is already a track record for potential diverse participation. This isn't a brand-new piece of technology with no history, it's the evolution of an existing platform. This puts the project lead ahead of the curve, because he already has a list of folks he can tap to participate, hence the recruiting aspect. I wish all proposed projects were this lucky! And still, despite this fact, the diversity isn't really there. That's the problem, and it is eerily similar to the lack of diversity on the current platform project.

Projects have to want to be diverse, and they have to make it a priority. You may recall the arguments we had on planet eclipse after the PHP tools were released to 1.0 without demonstrable committer diversity. According to the dev process, diversity is supposed to be a gating factor in order to exit incubation. I've been holding a technically mature DSDP project (NAB) in incubation for over a year because of the lack of diversity and transparency.

I do agree with Mike: "Diversity on E4 is a 'must have' for the future health of Eclipse." There is no other project in Eclipse right now where this is more important. I think E4 needs to set a goal of around 50% non-IBM participation to truly meet the diversity requirement. I would further say that the project shouldn't even be created until it's more diverse than the initial committer list currently reflects. Otherwise the architecture, feature set, workflow, frameworks, etc. will be IBM-biased. That's not good for everyone else who builds commercial products on top of Eclipse.

Doug G