Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] A suggested topic for PlanningCouncil Discussion

Doug Schaefer wrote:

Yes. Allow any project to release along with the train as far as scheduling and the monster update site go. But create a second tier of product quality components that would be released as part of the EPP packages.

I don't believe this is a good idea.  Why?  Because all it does is move the problem of selection/exclusion to another body (the EPP project).  Currently the EPP selection criteria are (IMHO) pretty closed.  That is, up to this point, the EPP project team members and/or EF select the contents of the packages (the individual projects) with whatever criteria they have chosen.  There's a discussion on the epp project newsgroup about the future EPP selection criteria here:

http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=101&group=eclipse.technology.packaging#101

(It's thread entitled 'Policies for EPP' started by Ian)

I guess I see having two tiers (an EF set of 'products' and then a set of 'projects') as inherently a non-level playing field...to re-use Doug's observation.

Scott

Back to the top