RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] A suggested topic for PlanningCouncil Discussion

I've been pondering this thread and wondering why this debate went off in the direction that it did. I came to the conclusion that --- as in so many things in life --- the root cause lies in a misunderstanding. Or a different set of assumptions. Or a miscommunication. Whatever :-)

Our history of doing release trains is relatively short. But we at the EMO believe that we have learned something over the past two years. And that lesson is that it is impossible to change the perception of the community on what the release trains mean. What I mean by that is that no matter how many times we tell people (including journalists) that the release trains are a bunch of projects which ship together, and that the main focus is on enabling adopters, the broader community resonates back that it is a single release and they expect things to work together. Or at least play nicely together.

In addition, the functionality expectations of developers have been raised. In 2001, JDT gave most Java developers what they needed. Now they're looking for a much broader set of functionality as the entry point.

So my observation is that as of this moment the community and the planning council have different ideas of what the annual release is. And IMHO the community's opinion wins. At least in the sense that it defines what we are expected to achieve.

Doug's suggestion that perhaps EPP is part of the solution is worthy of further exploration. My gut tells me that is necessary but not sufficient. EPP cannot solve all of the quality and integration issues on its own.

It should be a fun Planning Council meeting next week :-)

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Mobile: +1.613.220.3223
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx