RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Re: issues

Re late requirements, we were asked last year to sign up to the Callisto train with very few known requirements.  Subsequently new requirements have popped up (as one would expect considering the effort/challenge we’re confronted with) and expectations were then conveyed that if projects don’t support requirement X by (some near-term) date Y, they’re not on the Callisto train (or at minimum, they’re not good Callisto citizens).

We expect new requirements arising from Callisto and we’ll all do our best to accommodate such in a timely fashion, but we are all managing projects to plans put in place a while ago and cannot simply turn on a dime to redirect our efforts to meet some newly emerged requirement.  In these cases, where majority rules adopt new requirements, some consideration should be given to projects intending to adopt, but needing some flexibility in requirement/timing.

Some of the late emerging requirements included:

-          API freeze date set at the Dec 15 PC mtg.  We (TPTP) were denigrated for not committing to this new requirement on the spot (through the power of instant messaging, I encouraged such a position via Sri who was attending in my absence) – despite the fact that this timing was inconsistent with our TPTP 4.2 milestones and the fact that we lead a multi-company PMC whose perspectives should be considered for such a decision/impact.

-          The “Callisto Requirements” minuted from the Feb 3 Callisto coordination call – these originally surfaced serendipitously and as “must have’s” which caused some initial discontent – later, after discussed in the Callisto call, we agreed some of these were must have’s and some were should have’s and that we would formally adopt as such as requirements (But, even some of the must have’s, if not already planned by projects, would create a potentially difficult (or unmanageable) impact, e.g., ICU4J).

Thanks,

--tyler