[eclipse.org-membership-at-large] Cyber Resilience Act Open Letter

All,

We have discussed the European Cyber Resilience Act (CRA) proposal as a community in the past. As written, the CRA poses unnecessary economic and technological risks to the European Union. As such, this regulation is challenging and to some degree threatening the development of most of our open source (OSS)  projects your organisations rely on. See the list of resources linked here for additional background information.

This regulation is now entering the final negotiations between policymakers. During this phase, the open source (OSS) community has a last chance to ask for changes to the regulation to mitigate unprecedented challenges to the open source ecosystem.

Over the last few weeks, 12 organisations with the Eclipse Foundation have drafted and signed an open letter addressed to policymakers proposing a solution for OSS projects developed under the governance of  foundations like the Eclipse Foundation.

We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the topic and feel free to share this open letter as well as any of the resources provided here with your network. We have been using the hashtag #ModifyTheCRA to amplify our messaging on social networks.

Please see the resources attached and linked below:

  1. The open letter drafted and signed by key OSS organisations.(Translations will be added to the page when they are available);

  2. Various resources (videos, articles, papers, etc.) related to the OSS challenges with the CRA;

  3. A list of hashtags to follow and sample social media posts that could be used if you want to share your concerns.

Based on our recent dialogue with policymakers we are confident that they are willing to collaborate with the open source community in improving the wording of the proposed regulation. We call on the OSS community to be informed on this CRA proposal and the challenges it poses - and to ensure your colleagues, peers and organizations are aware of this matter as well.

Should you have any questions or additional insights, we’d love to hear from you.

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director Eclipse Foundation AISBL

Back to the top