Re: [eclipse.org-membership-at-large] Barriers to Eclipse: New WorkingGroup

Hi Ashvin,

Maybe you don't remember, but I have talked briefly with you about this Eclipse course during the last EclipseCon. The course was offered for two times, each started with about ten participants and a little more than half of them go through. Because of the restriction of the university policy, such courses can only be included in undergraduate syllabus. But there were some students from the diplom (equivalent to master) phase of the study participating in the course in the first time. And even those undergraduates have at least familarity with Java programming and XML. And the second offering of this course was dedicated to a selected group of "elite" students. The university has a special program for them and our course was chosen as one of the electives. Many of them are completely newbies to Java, although they do have very basic knowledge about programming in C etc, and this is the first programming course they even take. We did not develop courseware specifically for distance learning. We utilized the elearning platform from our university to deliver the course materials, exercise sheets and evaluate student exercises online. We did not devote into the development of our own presentations, but referred the students to the existing ones, including those from ECESIS, EclipseCon Tutorials as well as some materials from IBM Developerworks website. However, we did developed a set of exercise sheets. The students get practical experience when going through the exercises step-by-step and finally work on the mini projects by the end of the semester.

Best regards,
Tianchao

=====================
Institut fuer Informatik
Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Germany
Web: http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~lit/

Ashvin Radiya wrote:

Hi Tianchao;

Can you please give some more information on how many students have gone
through Eclipse classes? Are they mature students with industry experience?
You mention distance learning. How many students from remote locations? Did
it work for remote students? How were the lectures delivered? Is there any
participation from students working in the industry?

I am also wondering if you considered using ECESIS training material or
contributing your content to it.

Thanks,

Ashvin