[eclipse.org-membership-at-large] Eclipse Members Input Request

Eclipse Members,

On December 13th and 14th the Eclipse Foundation board of directors will hold our quarterly meeting.  During this session one of the prime deliverables is agreement on the programs that will be championed and funded by the Foundation in 2006.  As your board representatives, we have already compiled a list of several programs that we feel will be of interest to the add-in provider community and which we plan to champion the foundation to adopt:
  • Eclipse as an "Ingredient Brand" - We need to accelerate and strengthen the marketing message that Eclipse is not an end-user technology but rather a premium ingredient technology for all types of commercial products and is much more than just an IDE. This means, for example, doing a more visible job of positioning the RCP as a viable platform for development and deployment of Java desktop applications and the support of the Macintosh platform on par with Windows and Linux, including Swing / SWT interoperability.
  • Depth of Commerical Adoption through a Community Portal - Provide an Eclipse community portal for plug-ins with a focus on driving value for plug-in providers via the eclipse.org website. Spend some funds on advertising to drive demand to the portal.
  • Management and Developer Seminars - In conjunction with interested members, develop and execute a series of seminars in North America targeted at growing awareness within the user community.
  • Market Research - Fund on-going market research with Evans Data on the growth of the Eclipse installed base and ecosystem. Approximately 50% of this research will be funded jointly with interested member companies.
  • Marketing Symposiums - Arrange for at least two marketing symposiums for the Eclipse Membership in 2006. (One in North America, one in Europe.)
  • Common Collateral - Develop common Eclipse marketing collateral for use by all member companies.
  • Member Value Case Studies - Develop case studies which illustrate how member companies have achieved commercial success by their participation with Eclipse.
  • Business Model Development - Develop public collateral documents illustrating the various business models successfully applied by member companies.
  • Member Meetings - Continue to grow and evolve our member meetings as important and worthwhile activities.
The complete list of all proposed programs is posted on the Eclipse website at: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/2006BudgetPrograms

In order to represent your interests to the best of our abilities, we'd all appreciate it if you'd take the time to reflect on the programs listed and provide us with your feedback.  Are these programs valuable to you?  Do you have other programs you'd like to see in addition to, or instead of, the ones listed?  Is there anything else we can do for you at the board level to help drive your company's commercial success?

Any of us would be pleased to discuss your thoughts on any Eclipse-related issues by whatever means you find most convenient.  Please feel free to use the contact information in the signatures to reach us at your convenience.

Best regards,
Todd Williams, Rich Main, Howard Lewis
Eclipse Foundation Add-in Provider Representatives

-----------
Todd Williams
VP - Technology
Genuitec, LLC