[eclipse.org-members-committers] Eclipse Projects update

The automatically-generated GitHub mirrors are going away. More information below.

=Eclipse Committer Bootcamp=

Sharon Corbett (IP), Denis Roy (IT), and I are presenting an Eclipse Committer Bootcamp [0] at EclipseCon Europe 2013. We're running in in the tutorial time-slot in the theatre. There'll be no hand-on, but the session with be interactive and--I hope--fun. If you want to learn everything that you need to know about the Eclipse Foundation and working with the Eclipse Development Process, this is the session to attend (though to be honest, it looks like we're up against some pretty interesting competition).

=Reviews=

A reminder for all project leads and committers: all projects are required to engage in release reviews for all major and minor releases (only bugfix/service releases are excused). Note that section 6.4 "Releases" of the Eclipse Development Process [1] has some very specific requirements for naming of release and milestone artifacts.

We have a small number of releases occurring over the next two weeks: EGit/JGit 3.1 [2, 3],  Lyo 2.0 [4], Jetty 9.1 [5], and Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) 3.7 [6].

The Winery project creation review [7] concludes next Wednesday. Winery is a Web-based environment to graphically model TOSCA topologies and plans managing these topologies. The environment includes a type and template management component to offer creation and modification of all elements defined in the TOSCA specification. All information is stored in a repository, which allows importing and exporting using the TOSCA packaging format.

Also concluding next Wednesday, is the creation review for Concierge [8]. Concierge is a small-footprint implementation of the OSGi Core Specifications R3 standard optimized for mobile and embedded devices.

=New Project Proposals=

GeoMesa [9] (LocationTech) is a suite of geospatial libraries and tools built on top of Geotools and Accumulo, a column-family oriented distributed database. GeoMesa contains a spatio-temporal indexing structure that enables efficient storage, querying, and transformation capabilities for large spatio-temporal data sets.

The Mosquitto [A] project provides a small server implementation of the MQTT and MQTT-SN protocols. MQTT is a protocol designed for machine-to-machine (M2M) communication that runs over TCP/IP.

=Eclipse Development Process 2014=

I have been working hard to produce a new edition of the Eclipse Development Process for 2014 based on feedback and input from the Eclipse Architecture Council. Early next week, I'll deliver a draft to the Architecture Council for their review with a plan to take it to the December meeting of the Eclipse board of directors for their approval. All of the work is being done in the open; you can review the current draft [B] and provide your input via Bugzilla [C].

=Project logos=

Does you project need a new logo? The Eclipse Foundation will offer a $500 bounty to help a project that wants to have a logo created. The process of creating the logo must be open and transparent so anyone can contribute suggestions. For instance, we have used sites like crowdSPRING to crowd-source logo creation. The final decision on the logo and who gets the $500 is up to the project leader and committers. The final logo must be contributed to the project through bugzilla.
If you are interested, please contact Ian Skerrett (ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx) for the details. We have budget to support 10 projects. The logos must also be created and selected before the end of December 2013.

=Eclipse Project Git Mirrors=

A couple of years ago, we worked with the good people at GitHub in an initiative to create automatic mirrors of Eclipse project Git repositories on GitHub [D]. Unfortunately, the mirror concept is not fully supported by GitHub, which has lead to some issues (primarily due to latency of updates). We stopped creating new mirrors a while ago.

Over the next few weeks, I'll start removing the mirrors (we are investigating a means of automating this). This will not impact the repository clones that we have created directly.

If your project would like to have a clone on our official GitHub organization, send me a note. At this point, we have no services in place to keep the clones up-to-date, so this is something that--at least for now--projects will have take care of themselves. If having an automated process for keeping a GitHub clone in sync with an eclipse.org repository is high-priority for you, please open a bug.

I look forward to meeting with everybody at EclipseCon Europe 2013!

Thanks,

Wayne
--
[0] http://www.eclipsecon.org/europe2013/eclipse-committer-bootcamp
[1] http://eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/#6_4_Releases
[2] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.egit/reviews/3.1.0-release-review
[3] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.jgit/reviews/3.1.0-release-review
[4] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.lyo/reviews/2.0-release-review
[5] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/rt.jetty/reviews/9.1-release-review
[6] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/rt.ecf/reviews/3.7.0-release-review
[7] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/soa.winery
[8] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/rt.concierge
[9] https://locationtech.org/proposals/geomesa
[A] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.mosquitto/
[B] http://eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process_2014/
[C] http://tinyurl.com/lft624b
[D] https://github.com/eclipse
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top