Agenda:
• Eclipse Foundation Updates
• Eclipse Seminar Series
• Evans Data Research

Eclipse Foundation Updates
==================

EclipseCon
------------
Ian has been focusing on EclipseCon to be held March 20-23rd in Santa Clara, CA.

• There 27 companies lined up as exhibitors
• Registration is at 300
• Program is done

Foundation is looking for press help in regards to helping companies announce new products. Volunteers should contact Ian.Skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx

Eclipse Awards
• Low level of nominations
• Deadline 27
• Please submit awards ASAP

Exhibitor Guide should be done next week

What can the foundation to do to help exhibitors and leverage member company efforts?
• Sponsor press release
• Media sponsor agreements
• BOFs
• Sponsorships in the Expo Hall
• Short vendor talks

All exhibitor information is available on EclipseCon website

Webinars
-----------
Ian suggested to the group about joint sponsoring of Webinars through the Foundation. If you are interested in participating, post EclipseCon Q2, please contact Ian.Skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx

Seminar Series
==========
The Eclipse Foundation is organizing a seminar series to raise Eclipse’s visibility. The theme is adopting Eclipse and open source in the enterprise, with a business focus as to how you can use Eclipse in the enterprise.
In the morning there will be an Executive Education Seminar Series, with Carl Zetie from Forrester, and  as well as case studies from sponsoring companies, while in the afternoon, there will be a Developers Code Clinic focusing on the RCP.

4 cities
San Diego: February 7
Dallas: February 9
Raleigh: February 28
Atlanta: March 2

5 Sponsoring companies include Exadel, Serena, IBM, Sybase, CollabNet

Specific Conference Topics are as follows:

Executive Education
-----------------------
Adopting Eclipse in the Enterprise
Carl Zetie, Forrester Research, will explore lessons learned by IT adopters of Eclipse and provide industry best practices for applying Eclipse as a strategic integration platform.

Open Source Licensing Explained
The Apache Foundation Legal Affairs representative will discuss and answer questions regarding the legal issues surrounding open source software.

Understanding the Eclipse Foundation
The Eclipse Foundation representative will provide insight into their role in operating and governing the Eclipse open source community.

Sponsoring Companies’ Case Studies
IBM: Leveraging Eclipse across the IBM Enterprise
IBM, one of the founding members of the Eclipse Foundation, has expanded its use of Eclipse across internal development efforts and in our commercial application development tools. This presentation will discuss how Eclipse has met our needs in both of these areas. We will also discuss the strengths that Eclipse brings to support our heterogenous environments and multiple platforms.  Finally, we will talk about key customer requirements that will likely drive the future direction of our Eclipse-based offerings

Exadel: Component Based Web Development: What can we learn from ABN Amro?”
Exadel Founder and CEO Fima Katz explores how ABN Amro Bank (www.mortgage.com) has been able to leverage next-generation technology, allowing them to build and create systems from pre-built components that are easy to deploy, develop, customize, and test. This interactive discussion will challenge participants to explore their own development strategies and consider alternatives utilizing component-based web development.

Serena: Vendor Integration
Why can’t we all just get along together? Why vendor to vendor integrations fail and what, finally, we can do about it.

Kevin Parker, ALF (Application Lifecycle Management) Evangelist, Serena Software

Sybase: The Business Value of an Extensible IDE
Finally, an IDE that’s designed by you for your needs

Integrated Development Environments (or IDEs) have been a part of the developers’ world since the early 1990s.  The average business, however, reviews and replaces its IDE about once every 18 months, costing significant amounts of both money and time.

Eclipse is the first IDE to break the “review and replace” paradigm.  With an open-source, extensible IDE, the business decides what plug-ins to integrate into their development environment.  Now, Eclipse enables the business to update the IDE on demand as well as custom tailor to a specific project or even a specific developer.  This ultimately means substantial cost and time savings to the business and a renewed emphasis on solving business problems, rather than picking new development tools. Jonathan Baker, Technical Evangelist will be presenting.

Evans Data Market Research
Mike Taylor proposed to the group to undergo another market research study on the Eclipse market through Evans Data. Previous research has provided a great body of information. Companies interested in participating in a study, that would take place in Q2, should contact Mike at Mike_Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karen Frederiksen | Director, Application Development Technologies | Sybase, Inc. | One Sybase Drive | Dublin, CA 94568 | Direct 925.236.8480 | karen.frederiksen@xxxxxxxxxx |

Back to the top