Von: "sebastian.zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx" <sebastian.zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx>
Antworten an: Eclipsecon list <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: Sonntag, 1. September 2013 14:40
An: Eclipsecon list <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] last night telco and some issues....

Hi everybody,

my thoughts on the extended slot:

tl;dr:

- 2 rooms for OSGi
+
- Modeling symposium
- e4 Symposium
mbeddr
- Java8 in Eclipse / A Panel 'Eclipse as an IDE' (Martin, Michael Scharf, Doug Schaefer, a JDT guy if available ...)
- Wrap Up of the Hackathon? / 3-4 short talks about new projects that didn't make it into the program.

I'm convinced that a single slot is too short for a symposium and a double slot may be too much (70 mins + the break?)  so an extended slot (60mins) at the end of the first day may be the best and most natural choice here.
Since I don't get tired to mention this until somebody else says it's a bad idea, I still would like to see an e4 symposium in parallel to the modeling symposium. Another thing could be an e4 panel with an extended Q&A. It may not be the best idea to merge the migration topics into one since each of the speakers may have a different focus - especially if Jonas changes the scope of his proped session. So having a generell approach to a migration like proposed by Lars / Wim Jongman, a concrete case with the OpenChrome and a third one from Jonas is not necessarily a bad idea (in the sense of the overlap). Migration to e4 is something that many attendees will have to have on their agenda sooner or later. Personally I'd really like to have the OpenChrome thing as proposed. Maybe Lars and Wim can swith to a Q&A format if there's too much of an overlap with Jonas (who wont' be available in parallel to the modeling symposium).

Since the mbeddr talk was very well received in France and the 3 speakers asked for it (and 3 speakers would be sort'of distracting in a 30+5min slot), I think it's a good idea to give them the opportunity.

Recently there was this controversial discussion about the Eclipse IDE being dead / boring / whatelse and we have two submissions on this topic. I think it would be a good sign if we allow an extended slot for the Java8 in Eclipse talk that was submitted by the JDT committers. Though this may be a little risky since I do only know Stephan as a speaker and the Indian JDT committers that I saw in other talks were quite boring. Anyway Java8 support is probably something that people may get excited about if it is not only the compiler but also some UI features that's going to be presented. Alternatively it could be an option to have a Panel / Q&A about Eclipse as an IDE similar to what's currently being discussed as a BoF with Martin and Michael Scharf. We could ask Doug Schaefer and some JDT guy to team up and make a panel about that topic.

I'm not sure about the last available slot (if it is not reserved as a sponsored track). It could be a nice platform to present the results from the Eclipse hackathon, so people that coded cool stuff get a platform to show what they did. Another option would be a moderated session about new projects at Eclipse in the recent past where a few of them get the chance to give a demo / talk about the idea if they did not make it into the program as a full session.

What do other think about this?

Best regards,
Sebastian