[eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] ECE call 16.7. (monday/yesterday)

Hi PC-members,

I think the call yesterday went really great (except my inability to dial in at the beginning). (Maybe I shouldnt have upgrade to Mountain Lion on Sunday :-) )
Everybody spoke up, we had a lively discussion, we help each other. This was really a good start and please continue to do so.

Since Jonas asked yesterday about my comments for voting and where better not to vote, I will add a little more.

As much as I really like the dictatorship model, I'd like to run this PC pretty much based on common sense and keep rules to a minimum. I think we can all agree on that its a no-no to vote on your own proposal or if you are one of the speakers. You have too much heartblood in such a proposal that you are not in a neutral position to judge the abstract.

Everything beyond that is your personal judgement. If I, myself would vote +10 on all "compeople AG" talks that would look bad (even if I am not the speaker). Sometimes a company is big enough that its no problem because people work in different departments. And if you think you can judge a topic and abstract and dont just vote for the person because you like him personally then please do so even for people of your company. If the speaker is your boss or you are the boss of the speaker then you are not in that neutral position anymore.

I hope this makes sense. I have enough trust that everyone makes the right judgement himself and this should NOT be a problem at all. (Dont think tooo much about it anyway)

Martin asked whether we already should ask speakers to shorten their proposal or extend their abstract. I said yes please do so, the question is how. Proposals have two comment types. The PC comments are only visible to PC members and not even to the speaker. The public comments are available to everyone. If your comment is not insulting (aka "this propsal sucks" :-) ) you could use the public comments. As an alternative you could use the email address to write him in person. The only problem I see is that what if 8 people pick the same talk and ask the person the same thing (or even express different opinions).

So maybe if have say an hour and write 3 speakers, then send a link with the 3 talks to this PC mailing list so that others not also send comments their. You dont need include your whole mail message just that you addressed an issue in the abstract. (and maybe what type of issue) Just to not frustrate our speakers with multiple PC members teasing them with comments.

If you have additions or comments let us know…..

thanks

christian

compeople AG
Untermainanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt/Main
fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
web: www.compeople.de

Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
USt-IdNr. DE207665352