[eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Submission Guidelines

All,

I created an EclipseCon wiki section that is focused on the 2008 and EclipseCon.  http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseCon_2008

Some of the sections have turned out to be a bit redundant, i.e. the Program Committee, but I think most of them still apply.

EclipseCon Audience Attempts to identify the overall target audience that we are aiming for at EclipseCon.  I didn’t really have anything definitive to say there, it ends up being more questions then statements.  I think that it makes sense that we clearly identify who are primary audience is.  The web site identifies EclipseCon as:

EclipseCon is the premier technical and user conference focusing on the power of the Eclipse platform. From implementers to users, and everyone in between, if you are using, building, or considering Eclipse, EclipseCon is the conference you need to attend.

I think that the reality is that EclipseCon is focused on the committers, contributors, and integrators of the Eclipse universe.  I wonder how many Eclipse users would really find the conference valuable.  If our goal really is to focus on the Eclipse users, then I think we need to make sure that all of the categories have presentations that are focused on the user, and that this is tracked in the program.

EclipseCon Submission Guidelines Last year the submissions ranged from exceptional to just plain confusing.  This page attempts to identify what makes for a quality submission.  My goal is to have the presentation submitters answer some of the most basic questions in the submission.  I hope it helps them to think in terms of what will someone get out of this presentation instead of here is what I want to talk about.

Once again, your thoughts would be helpful.  Category specific guidelines could also be added to this page if applicable.

EclipseCon Selection Guidelines It seems inevitable that some people will be upset about the talks that are selected for the conference.  My goal here was to come up with a consistent set of guidelines that all of the categories would follow.  Once again, it probably makes sense for the individual categories to create links to their individual program goals.  Should we do this manually, or can it be done through links to the EclipseCon wiki?

Scott

Back to the top