Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Business Track and User Track tutorials?

Bjorn,

I currently see two tutorial abstracts that have been submitted for the user track.

1. Java Web Application Development with Eclipse WTP
2. Developing Business Rule Applications using Eclipse

There are two other tutorials, currently submitted for the developer track, that sound like they will be more appropriate in the user track.
1. Mylar (working title)
2. EJB 3.0 Persistence using the Reference Implementation an...

I've added comments to these tutorials asking the submitters whether their tutorials are really user tutorials.

You're right about nothing yet being submitted for the business track. Here are some ideas taken from OOPSLA (which concluded today) to get the ball rolling:
1. The Six Million Dollar Customer - http://www.oopsla.org/2005/ShowEvent.do?id=120
Focusing on the value of customer involvement in the development of your organization's applications
2. Teaching Java: An Eventful Approach - http://www.oopsla.org/2005/ShowEvent.do?id=131
This may be more appropriate for the user track but I think education fits in the business track as well.
3. Creating and Protecting Software Intellectual Property Rights - http://www.oopsla.org/2005/ShowEvent.do?id=139
IP is always a concern when developing software regardless of whether you are in industry or part of academia.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/20/2005 03:00 PM

Please respond to
Eclipsecon Program Committee list

eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Business Track and User        Track tutorials?

Michael, Maher, Mike, Simon, Ed, Paul,
There are 21 tutorial submissions and only one of those is User Track and
zero of them is Business Track. At this rate, we're not going to have a user track or a business track.  At this rate, we're going to have an EclipseCon that is just about developers again. That would be fun for the committers, but not what we are trying to do with EclipseCon - we are trying to have a conference for the whole community.

And only 16 of 75 submissions overall are User or Business track - only 1/5th of the submission are in those two tracks and 4/5ths are the Developer Track.  Is that what we want?

We really need you guys to be out there recruiting content. Actively recruiting.

--
Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Technical Director, Open Source Process and Infrastructure