Re: [eclipse.org-committers] How to deal with stackoverflow contributions

Generally I'd say it's nok OK to copy/paste code from anywhere, regardless of whether the result ends up in Eclipse or some other code. However the sample given is a pattern, I've seen variants of it in a lot of Eclipse code, and not an algorithm or of such substance that it can be copyrighted. I'd guess that this particular code originates from an Eclipse plugin in the first place.

The legal process poster[1] does not mention snippets, so I cannot say whether or not a CQ is required, but I doubt it. In this case I'd go for attribution, at least for more substantial code.

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf
--
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Senior Software Engineer at Itema AS